Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,881   Posts: 1,629,593   Online: 953

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ... and mine for the III looks just like that. This page: http://westonmeter.org.uk/westonthree.htm shows the ND filter I mentioned.

And on the home page:
    The Invercone was first advertised in 1948 for the Master II.
    There is a neutral density filter that clips into the cell recess for bright light measurement as you can't close this with the invercone in place (unlike on later models).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Invercone converts the meter for use as an incident light meter, this will be true for the Master II as it is for all following Masters. My guess is that early manual was not written with the Invercone in mind, perhaps it had yet to be added as an option.
    Quality Light Metric in Hollywood still works on these meters, and the price and turn around are very reasonable, exceptional even.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, thanks everyone. This seems to clear it up

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    There was an invercone for the Master 11 http://westonmeter.org.uk/westontwo.htm. I'm not sure if it was supplied with the meter, or as an optional extra .
    Thanks for the link: this really clears it up.

RMD

Shooter
    35mm
    With reference to the mention of Megatron in this thread,this company has recently ceased operation.
    A company called Optical Test and Calibration (OTC) has taken over some of the maintenance side of the industrial business,but there is no mention of repairs to Weston meters.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well I took a chance and bought a Master II off eBay today.It looks very nice in the photos.Said the needle reacts to light so we'll see if it was a good idea next week when it gets here.Only $16.76 shipped so eh?I'm actually looking forward to using it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    The Invercone converts the meter for use as an incident light meter, this will be true for the Master II as it is for all following Masters. My guess is that early manual was not written with the Invercone in mind, perhaps it had yet to be added as an option.
    Quality Light Metric in Hollywood still works on these meters, and the price and turn around are very reasonable, exceptional even.
    Here's another vote for Quality Light Metrics. They do outstanding work, and the price and turnaround really are pretty reasonable. The meter comes back with a little yellow sticker attesting to the accuracy, exactly as one expects from a professional calibration lab. Of course, if you're not in the US it's probably a little pricey for shipping.

As for the invercone on a Master II, if you look at a Master II and a Master III you'll note that neither of them "indicate" the exposure. The needle measures light, and the readings on the two should match - invercone or no invercone. Mechanically there's no difference between the invercone for a II and III. They are the same part number. It's the same invercone. (Not so for the Master V. Different mechanics.)

What differs on the II and III is the calculator wheel. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, to get good readings from a Master II just click the ASA rating down one notch on the calculator wheel. That's all that's required.

If you're shooting 100, set the calculator wheel at 80. If you're shooting 400, set the calculator wheel at 320. If you're shooting X, set the calculator wheel one notch slower and read it directly. The point to remember is that the calculator wheel is completely disconnected from the light meter portion. Adjusting the film speed setting wheel has absolutely no effect on the needle readings like it does on the meter on many SLRs. On the Westons the meter needle doesn't read out in exposure times. The calculator dial gives you the exposure times based on the light intensity read form the meter needle.

What I love about the old things is that I can look at a glance and see a range of corresponding aperture/time values in 1/3 stop increments for the light condition.

No, it won't do spot measurements. Use it for what it's good at.

I measure the shadows I want to preserve cleanly, rather than trying to measure the aggregate scene, and I set the exposure calculator wheel Zone 3 pointer to the needle reading based on that shadow measurement. Then, voila, I'm presented with a range of aperture/speed settings that will properly expose those shadows. Use modern film and I don't blow out the highlights.

Works for me. YMMV.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well it's here.Appears to work well but I cannot test the accuracy because it's kinda cloudy today.We'll see tomorrow I think.Man this thing looks brand new.Now I need to read the booklet and learn how to use it.

EDIT:Well it may just be very accurate.It matches the meter in my AE-1.I'm happy.

Edit #2:I should add with the meter dial set to 80 and camera set at 100.
    Last edited by MartinCrabtree; 04-05-2010 at 01:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ahhhhh............nevermind it's way off in the higher end of things.Off to Quality Light Metric with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just bought a Weston Master II and all I can say is WOW!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin