Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,719   Posts: 1,483,121   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Weston Master II

I have a Weston Master II exposure meter. I got it at a garage sale many years ago and never used it. Recently, out of curiousity I checked it to see how accurate it is. I found that the direct reading in Candela per foot squared is quite accurate but the dial would indicate wrong exposure.
    For example, 400 c/ft^2 which is EV15 for ISO100 but dial this value in the built in dial I would get 1/130@f/20 which is EV15 and 2/3. Using Weston rated speed of 80 for ISO100 I would get 1/130@f/18 which is EV15 and 1/3.
    It seems to get the correct exposure setting I would have to set the dial for ISO64 instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Older Weston light meters used different speed ratings. The general formula states that Weston 80 equals 100 ASA/ISO. So, you're right that you should set the film speed dial to 80 (or even 64, as you say).
    Check also here: Weston meter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P. View Post
    Older Weston light meters used different speed ratings. The general formula states that Weston 80 equals 100 ASA/ISO. So, you're right that you should set the film speed dial to 80 (or even 64, as you say).
    Check also here: Weston meter
    Amazing how these old Weston Masters continue to work so well !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the Weston 11 master meter came out in 1948, after around sixty years it's a miracle they work at all never mind accurately ,
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I think the Weston 11 master meter came out in 1948, after around sixty years it's a miracle they work at all never mind accurately ,
    The miracle could be that they have had the cell replaced. A service which Megatron in the UK still offer.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The miracle could be that they have had the cell replaced. A service which Megatron in the UK still offer.

Steve.
    They may still do it Steve but there's no mention of it on their website now http://www.megatron.co.uk/homepage.html
    Ben

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They did my Master V in October 2008, and I don't think their website mentioned it then either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd do a Zone I test on an old meter anyway, and use the results of that test for my exposures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I have a W-M II and a V (neither has been "serviced"): both work well.

I have several other "built in" selenium meters in various cameras: all work OK.

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought mine at garage sale so I can't be sure but I believe it has not been recelled.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin