Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,530   Online: 815

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Using graduated filters

Hi everyone,
    Is there someone who has ever try ND graduated filters with black and white film? Is it worth it or it is good only with color film?
    Jacques

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sure - all the time. There is nothing about a ND grad that makes it exclusive to colour (even though some do have a colour bias - usually warming). I guess in some ways a yellow filter works as 'sky darkener' but not all skies are blue, and of course a ND grad isn't just for skies ;-) I really like the ND grad - usually have a 2 stop version ion my camera bag at all times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I often use a grad red for black and white landscape photographs featuring dramatic skies. The clouds "pop" but shadow detail at ground level isn't suppressed as happens with full image red filter.
    Last edited by Maris; 03-22-2010 at 05:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you everyone

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shoot reverse processed b+w transparencies and use ND Grads for most of my landscape photos - mostly 0.9 ND Hard Grads, but sometimes 0.3 and 0.6 too.

Cheers,
    Gavin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin