Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,802   Online: 927

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a simple question (s). Was 5.6 @ 200 Zone III, or V? Was f11@200 Zone V or VIII? Maybe i missed something here, and would need to know what these numbers mean before deciding the BR.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    I have a simple question (s). Was 5.6 @ 200 Zone III, or V?
    The meter interprets everything as Zone V. Everything. Meter a black cat in a coal mine. Use the exposure the meter gives you and take its picture. Then leave the coal mine and go out into the noonday sun with no clouds and a ground full of freshly fallen snow. Meter the snow. Use the exposure the meter gives you and take a picture of the snow. When you develop these two negatives together for the same amount of time, the black cat and the snow will have the same densities.

When he metered the scene at 5.6 @ 1/200th and took the picture at that setting he was placing that low by default on Zone V. To place it on Zone III, he would've stopped down to f11. F8 would've yielded a Zone IV for his 'important low' and so on.

I remember taking a workshop with Bruce Barnbaum once and he said that light meters should all be called 'gray meters' because no matter what you meter you'll always get a Zone V gray. You have to interpolate to place the shadows where you want them to be.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I understand how meters work, my question has to do with his placement of the readings. That is why i ask the question, was 5.6 @200 what the meter said or was that the placement for Zone III !.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    I understand how meters work, my question has to do with his placement of the readings. That is why i ask the question, was 5.6 @200 what the meter said or was that the placement for Zone III !.

I pointed my meter at an "important" low and it suggested 5.6 at 200 (in its eye - a zone V). From what I'm gathering, I should've then adjusted my camera to f11 at 200... or sped up my shutter speed two stops (which I think I like better) - to place that on a zone III, which was my original intention.

Everyone... I can't thank you enough for the time you've spent in helping me out here. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. I will be printing them out so I can read over them several times carefully... as it takes a while for things to "sink in" for me. Thankfully, I DID make two exposures (albeit they're the same settings) - but at least I can experiment on one and develop the other as I normally would I guess.

I do believe I'm going to enjoy LF photography. I get annoyed by the point and click mentality when it comes to making photographs. If I can ever get this LF medium figured out, I think it'll be very enjoyable.

I thank you for your patience!

Brian

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the infor. As you have a large number of responses that will help you i will pass; just wanted to understand what you were saying and didn't want to assume anything, before making suggestion.

Have fun and it won't be too long before you will be moving those values in your head without any difficulties.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin