Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,245   Online: 1140

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I typically don't have the patience to wait when I find a scene that I really like and this is typically because I only really enjoy what's coming through the lens when the conditions already lend themselves to the composition. that being said I do like to shoot a lot of the same scenes in different lighting conditions so...I'd say I do both - shoot now, shoot later, and then evaluate what worked best. As a pedestrian I'm always out walking with some sort of gear on me and I typically don't go too far away from 'home base'.

This is indeed a good little tool - "The Photographers Ephemeris" - but I doubt I would put it to much use myself...I often find I'll lose interest somewhere in the palnning process so I tend to just keep notes - again, however, I don't travel much so perhaps if I weren't already very aware of the direction of light & such I would probably put it to use.

Thanks for the link!

Toffle, Point Pelee - ahh...I wish I were there now
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgignac View Post

Toffle, Point Pelee - ahh...I wish I were there now
    Come join me... I'm just about to head out the door to walk some trails. (Only taking three cameras.)

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sometimes I use a GPS gadget, but I lost it!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scouting locations and revisiting them at different times of day and year is part of the perseverance you need for landscape photography. Plus, it enhances your sense of place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take a few photos anyways (with whatever I have for a camera such as DSLR), then I will be both reminded and prepared to return under the conditions I really want. There are so many places within an hour of my home that would qualify for a revisit, I don't really need a GPS or a high level of organization when conditions are right.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While I do keep a "shot list" of places that need revisiting in "better" conditions, I find that life's vissiscitudes don't often allow for a return visit producing a better result than the original.

So I've decided to take the best shot I can in the conditions presented, and be prepared to shoot again if I can get back. I always without fail have a camera on m person or in my vehicle.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wish I could - I'll be sure to head out that way as much as possible this summer - I haven't been down there in years but love the trails...are the Monarchs still gathering in the fall?

Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Come join me... I'm just about to head out the door to walk some trails. (Only taking three cameras.)

Cheers,
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgignac View Post
    Wish I could - I'll be sure to head out that way as much as possible this summer - I haven't been down there in years but love the trails...are the Monarchs still gathering in the fall?
    As of September '08 there are still some pretty impressive migrations. This was shot with Elite Chrome and cross processed by the friendly people in our recently defunct lab.

Cheers, (and apologies for hijacking the thread... we now return to our regularly scheduled discussion)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't get too obsessive about it, but I do keep a list. I do also take something while I'm standing there. It is sometimes frustrating, I have shots in Rome and London that don't quite rival purchased postcards, but that's what it looked like when I was there (and I did get some good ones too).

I also maintain a list of future Pinhole Day destinations. As it tends toward bold, stationary objects such as rail facilities, substations and bridges, I hope Homeland Security doesn't spirit me away to Gitmo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    A few months ago, I stumbled on a very useful free program ("The Photographers Ephemeris") for forecasting lighting for landscape photographers (might have been on this forum?):-

http://stephentrainor.com/tools

Well worth checking out.
    Rail,

I had a chance to spend more time with this, very interesting. Recently drove out to an old wooden school house I had passed some time ago and I tried to get there around sunrise. Well, it wasn't quite the light I was hoping for primarily because I was not there early (or late) enough in the year as by the time there was any illumination of the front, the sun was much higher in the sky than I wanted.

I located it in TPE and using the satellite view. I could see the tree in front and the front step on the building. :o Anyway, fiddling with the calendar, I should have been there a month earlier. Again, thanks for the link, I think it will come in handy.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin