Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,246   Online: 869

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

My Pepsi Challenge is all screwed up

I recently was given a Rollei 35, it's in fantastic shape and it even has a light meter built in. Me thinks hmm, maybe I should check it against my Sekonic spot meter.

I put out the gray card, set ISO at 400, f5.6, fill the frame, measure: 1/30th second.

Same settings and same angle with the spot meter: 1/15th second, exactly.

Okay I think, you can't expect a Sekonic digital and a P&S meter that is 40 years old to be identical. But to further muddy up the water, I pulled out the Contax G2. Set it up exactly the same. 1/8th second.

All batteries are fresh. Two stops difference. What gives here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Daylight or electric lights? Daylight changes, the electric lights will be more consistent.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do you know you filled the frame with the gray card and a Rollei 35?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's hard to ensure that the gray card fills the frame with the Rollei 35. The G2 has TTL metering so it isn't difficult but it reads 2 stops different than you Sekonic then either your meter or the G2 or both are wrong. Sad but it must be true right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's time for a test roll of your favourite film through the Rollei 35 and the Contax G2. It's not unheard of to have a camera meter not calibrated to 18 % reflectance.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The exact angle that you read at can make a difference -- but a two-stop difference. All set to the same ASA setting? I'd suggest finding a large, uniformly-colored wall, preferably in shadow, and try with that. Eliminates the possibilities of shadows falling on the card, of your not knowing what the angle of reading is on the Rollei 35, and so forth.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, some older meters were calibrated to 12%, but none of the ones under discussion here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It was under electric light, with maybe a little ambient through the window. Not much, like twenty minutes past sunset and it was overcast.

I took the azimuth of the Rollei meter into account and put it closer to the card, and made sure I didn't block any light. Same angle, too.

I'll pull the stuff out again and put it on the wall for uniformity. But still, two stops difference seems whacky. I'll report back later.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Okay, so I did this again with a white sheet on the dining table. Same f5.6, same ISO 400.

The Rollei and the Contax both stood at 1/250th. The Sekonic read 1/250th, plus 1/2 stop.

Obviously I was doing something wrong. And I suppose the 1/2 stop is not a big deal; they are basically P&S's.

Anyways, thanks for assisting in my photographic version of a Chinese Fire Drill.

Shooter
    35mm
    12% or 18% doesn't make 2 stops different. 1/2 stop is not bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin