Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,622   Online: 978

Shooter
    35mm

Horseman 45 Meter

Anyone use one of these meters, guess from what I have read it meters at the film plane by slipping it into the slot where you will place your film holder. Are they accurate? Seems like a cool idea as it would automatically compensate for bellows extension factor and any filters, only film reciprocity would have to be calculated.

Thanks!
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone else also sold one, maybe Sinar? Seemed like a good idea $$$.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think Gossen also sells something like that for the Luna Pro SBC. I have the Minolta Booster unit that can measure directly on the ground glass. It has to be used with one of the many Minolta meters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use one. I have the 6x9cm version with a 4x5 adapter. I have the older one with two batteries. Each battery is its own separate adventure The fact that people think batteries are not available for the older version makes it a bargain. I got mine for about $60. I think the last list price on the new 4x5 version was around $900.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I use one. I have the 6x9cm version with a 4x5 adapter. I have the older one with two batteries. Each battery is its own separate adventure The fact that people think batteries are not available for the older version makes it a bargain. I got mine for about $60. I think the last list price on the new 4x5 version was around $900.
    I think that a 6V battery will work in lieu of the 5.6V one that is required, may throw it off a bit but I could compensate with the ISO dial. My real question is: Does it work well, accurate, easily broken, etc. Would you recommend it to someone if the price were reasonable?

(I have a Luna Pro SBC with the 1,5, & 10 degree attachment and know about the fiber optic device for measuring on the GG but have heard that even the best of those don't work well)

Thanks IC Racer for your reply
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I always wondered about this thing, Might be OK for color but I only do B&W and I need to spot meter...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, with the 1.5v batteries in the Horseman, I just shoot a Zone I frame and pick the EI that gives me 0.1 log above film base.

For B&W work, the changes in linearity with 1.5v & 6v batteries in this meter are too small to justify chucking these fine Horseman meters in the trash.

For battery A, I use a Duracell S28px 6v battery with a piece of plastic tubing around the battery so it doesn't wobble in the compartment.

For battery B, I use an Exell A640 http://www.lowcostbatteries.com/product_p/a640.htm

Here is a link to the way I do it: http://www.photobattery.com/horseman.html
    Here is a link to another way to do it: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0018jJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used my Horseman meter mostly for indoor shooting and close-ups. I have also used it to check home-made aperture scales on LF lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used the Sinar one in a studio on a 4x5 camera, works extremely well for transparency work, which is really why they were made. That was in the mid to late 80's.

I have the Gossen Profi-six with the 1º, 5º and 10º settings as you do, plus I have the fibre optic thingy for ground glass readings.

The fibre optic readings need calibration, then you are off. However to be honest I take a light reading, usually reflected of the subject, measure the bellows extension (if any) make adjustments then shoot. Using B&W negative film I have never really had a problem.

Mick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin