Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,289   Posts: 1,535,368   Online: 800

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Front glass of light meter broken - does it matter?

I have an ancient and very simple analog light meter which can measure incident and reflected light, but has no spot metering capability. For some reason the protective transparent plastic in front of the small light dome broke. The crack goes across the area covered by the light dome, the dome itself is ok, though.

How likely does this affect my exposure measurements? Can I replace the transparent plastic front with some other piece of plexi glass or are these parts likely made out of some special material?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the crack is not letting any parts fall out, just use it as is.

My trusty old pentax spot meter took a tumble down about 8 concrete steps a few years ago, and that cracked the internal focus screen. I have left it alone. Last week, the spot dot disappeared, and I tracked it down to the focusing screen having shifted. I turned the meter upside down, and gave it a firm whack with my hand, and for now all has come back into alognment for the time being.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just last week dropped my old Sixtar (Super Pilot) and cracked the little clear lens. It does not seem to have affected the exposure readings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the front glass is clear then you can replace it without a problem, as the new glass will not effect meter calibration.

If you have some clear plastic tape you can just use that - take a reading - stick the tape on, and take another reading - if it changes you need to adjust your exposure by that amount - if not then just use it...
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin