Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,562   Online: 918

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, you can see that the light is rather uniform. The exposure was made to center the color checker neutral such that dmin and dmax were clearly evident. This turned out to give the best results at the rated ISO speed. The scene was metered for the ISO and exposed and labeled E (or N). And, it turned out to be right in this case.

The studio work was done by two professional photographers who did all of this type of work at KRL so I can't give you more details than the above. What I wrote in the above paragraph was pretty much what I asked of them and stated approximately as follows: Expose at rated speed and -1/2, -1 and -2 as well as +1/2, +1 and +2 and lets see what happens. Use good, balanced studio lighting. I leave it to your judgment as the experts. They picked the models and dressed the set with things that we had selected as being "tough" objects and people.

Additional data on this included sensitometry and plotting the checker scale against the sensitometry so that we had quantitative data as well. There were literally hundreds of shots on dozens of rolls and many sheets of film, as this was done on both 35mm and 4x5 films to check micro and macro detail.

It was rather comprehensive and partially the result of one of my technicians (an African American) who brought to my attention the fact that his families skin tones displayed a purple cast in some pictures, and the flesh lacked detail. We geared up for making this sort of test a standard for checking out potential problems.

With a bad film, standard metering would not have worked.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's nice, Ron, but the models are, in terms of reflectivity, pretty fair.

The color rendition is wonderful, but I think the sample avoids the common tonal range
    we face when we make pictures of our friends. The KRL models share a common reflectivity.

A family portrait I made over the weekend in my studio,
    evenly lit like your your example,
    except the tonal range of the highlights we'd normally place at Zone 7 exceeded 4 stops.

I commonly see available-light N-1 situations, and often run to N-2. They are a snap for B&W,
    but exceed the range of E-6 and Digital.

Portra, however, makes it possible. Thanks for that !

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have met them DF. I assure you that they do not share a common reflectivity. The redhead on the left had skin that was almost white and the young lady on the right was very dark. OTOH, they were happy with the results, as were we. And, I assure you, this was only one example, one that I had left here in a few slides and negatives out of boxes full that I rescued from a garbage can in my DR/Lab at EK. Many competitor products did not fare as well.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have met them DF. I assure you that they do not share a common reflectivity. The redhead on the left had skin that was almost white and the young lady on the right was very dark. OTOH, they were happy with the results, as were we. PE
    Well the image sure makes it look like they are almost the same!
    They are way too close to represent the extreams of what can actually be encountered. I find that real models provides a much wider range than what is depicted in the test image.

Or, is it just on my computer screen that they look so similar?
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 06-15-2010 at 10:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ray;

It may be the screen or the scan. The image itself shows what I describe much more clearly.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    That's something I've been wanting to do.... Have several people I know with distinctive skin tones all in one scene....
    You're always welcome to come to LA and photograph my family. We have all skin tones from "pink" to "skillet" (if I may use that term), and all hair colors from blonde to purple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    You're always welcome to come to LA and photograph my family. We have all skin tones from "pink" to "skillet" (if I may use that term), and all hair colors from blonde to purple.
    Skillet??? Never heard of that one but very visual!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have met them DF. I assure you that they do not share a common reflectivity. T......

PE
    I'm only going by the picture, and very nice it is, too.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Prove to me, or anyone for that matter with 100% accuracy, that there are people anywhere with "black," "white," or "yellow" skin.

Have you ever compared a sheet of white or black paper to your own skin?

Are you REALLY WHITE, or BLACK in comparison? --I don't think so.
    You know, this "black and white" photo of mine here looks pretty gray...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin