Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,250   Posts: 1,660,323   Online: 1012

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    Multi Format

I'll just be glad to see real pictures.

I mainly come into contact with digital camera users in my family. My neices kids all have those little digital cameras. A few months ago we were all together and I knew my great-neice had never seen my RB67. She was showing me her new Nikon P&S digital and I asked her if she ever saw my new camera. When I brought it out they were shocked at the size. I don't try to impress them with the benefits of film, I would be just be glad if they would actually make pictures that I can see. I show them my album of 4X6 shots and they show me a little 1 X 2 inch screen with a bunch of quick shots of silliness. I would guess 99% of them never get transfered to a hard drive or printer, so they will always be with them until they lose the camera. Rather than push film or digital, I tell them about keeping their pictures on archival CD's and properly storing them. Ofcourse that goes in one ear and out the other, but that tells me it wouldn't make much difference if they used film or digital, they are some day only going to have a few pictures. Ric.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My approach to film usage is that _I_ use film (B&W only) because I like what I see. It gives me the kind of image I'd like to make. Not that I can't make similar image using digital but film simply gives it to me. The result pleases me when I get it right. It expresses what I wanted to show. On the other hand, I use digital for color because, well, I like what I see.

When I asked, I explain this just like I'm typing it in here. I have no intention on converting anyone. If that person is interested, then he/she has an option to try it. I even offer to process the film for them for free. My colleague was interested in it because it reminded him of old days, and his kids were intrigued because they have NEVER used film. I doubt they will become film user because it was just a curiosity thing for them.

I see both media, film and digital, both having advantages and disadvantages. To me, trying to say which is superior and trying to convert someone because of it is an futile effort. Instead, I show them what I do and why I do it, and leave the choice entirely up to them.

I see the original poster is a teacher. Isn't a job of teacher show students options, provide opportunities, and provide support when students make their own choice? If this is the case, then my approach would be to expose them to film, do few sessions two to run them through the process, maybe assign a job or two, and see what develops. (puns intended)

I'd image his students are mostly young. Well, then, they can't possibly be interested or not interested in things they've never experienced. I'd be all for providing that first experience.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin