Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,769   Online: 970

Shooter
    Medium Format

Succeded to show what MF can do

Yesterday at my local club, we had an introduction evening for the new members. We decided to start with an introduction to the studio equipment and a crash course on lightning. Therefore, plenty of gathering behind the LCD of another member's hitech digital camera to assess the effect of the lightning, etc.

At the end of the studio session, I took out my Autocord to expose a roll for the rest of the introduction session, which was darkroom oriented. There was a lots of comments and jokes about this old fashion camera in the studio taking over the fancy all everything digital camera. Anyway, I shot somes and let everybody who would like to take a try to expose a frame before heading to the darkroom.

There were not as many new members interested by the darkroom as there were for the studio, but nevertheless, even if Brazil was playing, I had 6 members who were willing to know about the "old" way of doing photography. In the same session, we went through film development, contact sheet and print. At, the end of the evening, we went through the whole process from exposing the film to have a nice print.

At the time to hang the print in the club room, few of the digi members were still around and looked at the print. Then, one made my evening when he start expressing how amazed he was by the print quality of the picture we just made in the darkroom.

It's always nice when someone is able to recognize quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is nice indeed.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    It didn't hurt that you are in one of the more liberal places in Europe?

Open minds are a good thing!

And good for you for showing that not all that's good comes in an instant.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is great to hear!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The quality advantages with MF film over most any digital capture are blatantly obvious, it's just that alot of people can't admit it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Thats nice to hear, just shows that MF film in an old camera, and a darkroom made silver print can knock spots of of a digital print,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enjoy pissing off "friends" who boast they have just spent thousands on a full frame DSLR by projecting some of 6X6 Fuji Velvia slides on a 60"X60" screen for them .
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is extremely rewarding. Even showing a 35mm Kodachrome slide is blowing the mind of people, especially digital shooters.

On another note, it is always fun too show a real Leica to someone using a Panasonic P&S or a Hasselblad to someone shooting Sony P&S stuff; the realize very soon that those so called "Leica" or "Zeiss" lenses on those cameras are simply a marketing gimmik

Congrats!

K.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Making converts: one person at a time. Congratulations, you may have saved 6 souls.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin