Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,621   Posts: 1,622,851   Online: 1131

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black out!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How small is the print you're making? 1 second is waaay too short an exposure. You'll never be able to dodge/burn if the image needs it.
    I think there are other issues you need to troubleshoot. Are you sure the enlarger has the correct bulb?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Another thing that could be going on is the negative might be underexposed and thus printing dark. Do you have a machine/lab print from the negative that looks ok?

Shooter
    35mm
    Eddie - Yes I'm using the correct bulb, I checked with a company that deals in spare parts for the brand of enlarger that I'm using, its also the bulb recommended in the user book, I looked all over for them bulbs too!

Smileglitz - I have a small contact sheet and a scan straight from the film scanner, I will post the image I am trying to print (from the film scan) on here..

I will have a look at my library for those books you mentioned, I've also got an Ilford print guide book that gives quite a comprehensive insight into to colour correction ect...

again thank you for all your help and advise

~John~
    Last edited by Bullseye; 07-10-2010 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Despite your replies that the bulb is correct for the enlarger there still has to be something wrong at 1 second at f8. That means that if its a 50mm lens and goes to probably f16 max then the exposure is still only 4 secs.

My experience with a Durst M605 enlarger was that the 100W bulb which was recommended produced an exposure that was just less than 4 secs at f8 or maybe was f11. I didn't want to go to f16 so bought a 75W bulb which is also made for this enlarger. That solved the problem. It seemed that while 100W was OK for B&W negs, it was too much for reasonable colour neg exposures.

I'd be worried about warm-up time as a percentage of exposure time with an exposure of 1 second.

You could dial in 30 cyan, 30 yellow and 30 magenta( or maybe less would do) to give neutral density to increase exposure so if the correct filtration was say 40M and 35Y then adding 30C but maintaining the colour balance gives 30C 70M and 65Y.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Am I right to believe that the bulb is perhaps too bright?
    Last edited by Bullseye; 07-10-2010 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The bulb is one possibility. What size are the prints you're making?

Shooter
    35mm
    8 x 10, but I don't want to print the whole image so I have in effect cropped it by enlarging it outside the bounds of the paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
    8 x 10, but I don't want to print the whole image so I have in effect cropped it by enlarging it outside the bounds of the paper.

That makes 1 second even more amazing. You are in effect doing what might be a 10x12 or even 11x14 print depending on how much of it is outside the bounds of the paper.

At that size I am flummoxed for an explanation. Even if 100W was a little too powerful for a 6x4 or 5x7 print it should be giving exposures in very high single figures if not double figures for this size of print.

Sorry I am out of ideas. There has to be an explantion and it may even be quite obvious if we could see your enlarger and you at work but we can't. I hope that someone has an explanation that fits.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you absolutely positive that your enlarger lens is stopped down to f/8 (not f/2.8) when making the print exposure?

What kind of paper are you using? Where did you get it? How old is it? How has it been stored?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    The paper is brand new, fuji crystal archive, luster, I use a Meopta, opemus 6 colour enlarger, the image is in effect enlarged to about 11x14, but printed on 8x10 paper, if its any help, I'll post some photos of my enlarger and a film scan of the image tham I'm trying to print.

~John~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin