Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,758   Online: 965

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    Jersey is much the same, I was considering joining the Jersey Photographic Club untill a member told me that my film and darkroom work could not possibly come up to the required club standard, and if I was any sort of photographer I would give away my film equipment and get digital, otherwis it simply was not worth their while allowing me to join, needless to say I did not join,I also hear on the grapevine that the local club has now got very low membership and struggles to recruit,Richard

With such an arrogant attitude no wonder there struggling to recruit!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Required standard? Who do they think they are? Arena?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember there were small camera shops where you bought cameras and supplies, now you go to these big box electronics stores to buy your digicam next to washers and dryers.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Wife and I belong to a fine art association. All mediums are represented, although I'm the only film photographer. No one cares what the medium is, other than passing interest. We bring work at each meeting, which has to be able to be displayed = no projection or laptops are used. The discussion is about the ART, not what kind of camera, brushes or whatever is used. Everyone is very upbeat; any criticism is constructive and helpful. It's really refreshing.
    Maybe this would be a thought for you.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fortunately, my local camera group is open to everything from HDR to any type of film camera. I even got one person to put down the 5D one week and pick up an old-school Minolta SRT-something. I've also taken a page from that philosophy and been pretty accepting of digital - it's just not for me. Then again, I'm still in my mid-twenties.

There is a local photo club that's more competition- and contest-based. I don't know how welcoming they are of film.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    I was considering joining the Jersey Photographic Club untill a member told me that my film and darkroom work could not possibly come up to the required club standard
    That's hilarious. What do they think was used for most of the best* photographs ever made?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't the internet a digital medium so technically this is digital photography (ducks before stones hit).

Anyway, I had gone digital for some time mostly for convince, but I'm back now so it's ok now. What I learned from going from film to digital is that my camera skills were alright, but my photo storage system was lacking at best. Digital taught me how to store photos so I could find them later. I still use digital for vacation snaps, and learning, I can do hundreds of digital photos while learning how to get a particular shot, then go take the shot on film with confidence, and without annoying others by taking 30+ frames to get one photo. Digital is also a lot easier to share. Aside from storage of photos the biggest lesson I learned is that weather Digital or Film everything you learned about how to frame and capture an image at the focal plane of the camera, and how to present it in a hard copy format is the same just the media and transfer methods

Film on the other hand is so much nicer to use, you can pick the film you want to shoot for the image it tends to produce, you don't have to rely on the camera sensor reproducing something that you have to rework in whatever software to achieve the desired result. With digital about all you can do with the camera is add filters. While both film and digital are capable of producing very similar final results, the road to that result at least for me is a lot longer with digital. The point of photography for me is to capture the image as I view it in my minds eye, film does that for me in a shoot, process, print workflow with maybe some fix adjustment. Digital does it in a shoot, look at, tweak with software, realize I screwed up, re-tweak, print, realize the color of the monitor is off, reprint kind of way. Film is a tool to produce art, digital is a tool to document reality, they both can do the job of the other, it's just more work that way.

Maybe when they figure this out they will become more welcoming to film and all it can do without Photoshop or whatever else they are using on their photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I remember there were small camera shops where you bought cameras and supplies, now you go to these big box electronics stores to buy your digicam next to washers and dryers.

Jeff
    That's right Jeff, cameras have become an electrical and computer accessory, and just as disposable.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I gave up on the Digital thing, I was interested in joining a camera club.
    My schedule didn't allow me to make any meetings.
    Luckily I found APUG, there are a lot of scheduled events posted, but still
    haven't been able to participate. Unfortunately, after being whipped at work
    all week, I am lacking the energy to throw the 4X5 Box in the trunk, and drive
    three hours to get to a location.
    So, I set up the Long Island @ Large Format Group, right here on APUG.
    For Islanders using LF, and even MF.
    We Are Now Three Strong, On The Island Of Long !
    I Consider Long Island, to extend from the beginning of Brooklyn to the very end of Montauk. Not from the Nassau County line and points East. So No Excuses.
    Join The Group, and send me a PM. Lets shoot some sheets, and shoot the breeze !

From Ron The Long Island Of New York, and

Long Island @ Large Format, APUG Group

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the last year or so I've been involved with a local photo club, and it has been a pretty good experience. For one thing, I've been able to learn a fair bit about the digital side of things, without having to actually use it myself.

Primarily though, the benefit has come from the fact that there are a good number of people there who take interesting photos. There are 80+ members, and some of them have been members since before digital.

There is at least one "print" night per month, and while there may not be any others there who are submitting darkroom prints, at least most of the other prints are done on (colour) photographic paper, by commercial printers.

I just filter out most of the digital tech-speak, and enjoy the discussions about light and locations.

They are mostly very good people, who have the same sort of enthusiasm for photography as I do.

It occurs to me that one of the ways that people might evaluate these clubs is to determine how often they look at prints.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin