Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,456   Online: 894

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
    Is it me, or are both photography clubs and forums almost completely deaf and blind to analogue image capture? They have completely forgotten it, no-one uses it any more, and whenever the subject is brought up they all laugh and reminisce about the huge inconvenience and give remarks like 'well, now with digital we can do so much more' 'why would I use a darkroom, digital is too easy'.

It's shameful. And to think that I still can't locate a darkroom open for public use within 60 miles of Reading, UK. The camera clubs just say 'yeah, we dismantled it, no-one was using it'.

Meanwhile on the internet, discussions are all about Photoshop, HDR, Topiaz adjust, cloning, and all that digital crap. It just seems that whenever someone posts a photo there they are advised to do all kinds of crap to it in PS so that the resulting image just looks like an artificial load of rubbish. Just about everything looks oversharpened, overcontrasted, oversaturated (any combo of the three). Often when posting a film image you get a comment like 'could use some sharpening' or 'run it through noise reduction' - it's grain!

I think the sad reality is that APUG remains the only community where analog photographers can discuss and share their craft.

(rant mode off)
    I don't think you've looked very hard cos the ilford site lists 17 within 60 miles of reading the nearest being Kingsclere which appears to have a darkroom for its members use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I remember there were small camera shops where you bought cameras and supplies, now you go to these big box electronics stores to buy your digicam next to washers and dryers.

Jeff
    Not in Indiana. We have a VERY nice camera store here in Fort Wayne, a midsize city of 250,000. The store sells a good selection of film, paper and chemicals for us film users while also stocking the latest digital stuff including the high end professional bodies and lenses that the big boxes do not carry. They don't carry any new film cameras, but thats ok, as they have a good used dept and they carry a lot of new lenses that work on film or digital.

There is an even nicer camera store in the relatively small town of Muncie, Indiana (60,000 people) and a very nice one in Indianapolis too. All three stores I have mentioned are doing well and still selling film and chemicals.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    To be honest with you, I find that the colours are so much more realistic with film than with digital, I use digital also but.. I still find that film is by far the superior medium!

As many of you may know I'm now getting set up with my DR stuff, but I've had people nagging me saying things like... 'why don't you take your negs to the chemist to be printed'

Some people just miss the whole point of printing your own stuff, in my eyes, I can get the image to be what I want it to be rather than leaving it to the whim of someone else!

The way I see it, digital still have a long way to go to beat film! JMO!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    None of the highstreet chemists will dev & print 120, and if you want anything larger processed, it isn't going to happen in Norfolk.

Perhaps you should hang out with the mid-Norfolk Film Users

Shooter
    35mm
    ilford lab will dev and print 120 onto silver gelatin paper. Not the cheapest but what do you expect, it is a small nich market compared to colour.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use 35mm colour C41.... they do prints at asda but there just straight off the neg, its unlikely that they will crop the image if needed

and as for anything bigger than a postcard size print.... well I haven't got that long to live lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Not in Indiana. We have a VERY nice camera store here in Fort Wayne, a midsize city of 250,000. The store sells a good selection of film, paper and chemicals for us film users while also stocking the latest digital stuff including the high end professional bodies and lenses that the big boxes do not carry. They don't carry any new film cameras, but thats ok, as they have a good used dept and they carry a lot of new lenses that work on film or digital.

There is an even nicer camera store in the relatively small town of Muncie, Indiana (60,000 people) and a very nice one in Indianapolis too. All three stores I have mentioned are doing well and still selling film and chemicals.
    That sounds great! Heck I might even move there!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
    To be honest with you, I find that the colours are so much more realistic with film than with digital, I use digital also but.. I still find that film is by far the superior medium!

As many of you may know I'm now getting set up with my DR stuff, but I've had people nagging me saying things like... 'why don't you take your negs to the chemist to be printed'

Some people just miss the whole point of printing your own stuff, in my eyes, I can get the image to be what I want it to be rather than leaving it to the whim of someone else!

The way I see it, digital still have a long way to go to beat film! JMO!
    Bullseye, you hit a bulls eye. Agree 1000%.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
    Is it me, or are both photography clubs and forums almost completely deaf and blind to analogue image capture? They have completely forgotten it, no-one uses it any more, and whenever the subject is brought up they all laugh and reminisce about the huge inconvenience and give remarks like 'well, now with digital we can do so much more' 'why would I use a darkroom, digital is too easy'.

It's shameful. And to think that I still can't locate a darkroom open for public use within 60 miles of Reading, UK. The camera clubs just say 'yeah, we dismantled it, no-one was using it'.

Meanwhile on the internet, discussions are all about Photoshop, HDR, Topiaz adjust, cloning, and all that digital crap. It just seems that whenever someone posts a photo there they are advised to do all kinds of crap to it in PS so that the resulting image just looks like an artificial load of rubbish. Just about everything looks oversharpened, overcontrasted, oversaturated (any combo of the three). Often when posting a film image you get a comment like 'could use some sharpening' or 'run it through noise reduction' - it's grain!

I think the sad reality is that APUG remains the only community where analog photographers can discuss and share their craft.

(rant mode off)
    Why is this post made under Exposure Discussion?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My local photographic society has at least 3 or 4 of us (out of a couple of hundred!) predominantly using film. They run both a (digitally) projected images and a print competition every month. I've mostly been sending in film scans for projection up to now, since I haven't had my own printing facilities until this week, however this month I did really well with some fairly grainy 35mm HP5 shots. I think the judge was just pleased to see something which wasn't psychotically abused with oversaturated colour and oversharpening.

It is a bit sad but there are still people out there who love the traditional media. Yesterday I spoke to a pro fine art photographer whose love for film, and for medium format portraiture in particular, was just abundantly clear. They're out there, just harder to find in the digi-throng.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin