Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,339   Online: 944

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    You may want to extend the boundaries. The NE Ohio group, organized by John Powers, has had participants from Philadelphia and Milwaukee. Half the regulars are from out of state.
    Hi Nicholas,

Eventually the boundaries can be extended, but I'm just trying to get
    back on the bandwagon after deciding to ditch the DigiSnapper.
    Hoping to get ten members to join the Long Island @ Large Format Group.
    Once I have a core group of dedicated Long Islanders, we can reach out
    and welcome some Mainlanders. But, thanks for the suggestion will
    definitely have to think outside of the island.

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York, and the
    Long Island @ Large Format Group, right here on APUG

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was on another board today. Someone posted "how do I get rid of my film gear"! A couple of posters told him to donate it to a high school because "who else would want to use it"? It being a mint Nikon F3HP MD4! Then another told him it can't be worth anything because F5's only go for $250 now because nobody wants them! There were dozen more like that. I had to leave before I started to cry

As for clubs I will be joining a local Art Association (mixed media) in my town. I have two aunt's who are painters and have been members for decades and as long as you create art and are willing to help out you can join

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Prunier View Post
    I was on another board today. Someone posted "how do I get rid of my film gear"! A couple of posters told him to donate it to a high school because "who else would want to use it"? It being a mint Nikon F3HP MD4! Then another told him it can't be worth anything because F5's only go for $250 now because nobody wants them! There were dozen more like that. I had to leave before I started to cry

As for clubs I will be joining a local Art Association (mixed media) in my town. I have two aunt's who are painters and have been members for decades and as long as you create art and are willing to help out you can join
    I think I need open a high school. No students, but a great photo department!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The thing though, is that if you start searching under the right rocks, you will find enough people interested. At the last camera club meeting that my club had, I struck up a conversation with the nights judge (generally our judges are not from within the club), which inevitably led to talking about film. The judge said that there are plenty out there who still do and use film and if there were groups started, you would be surprised by how many people you may attract.

I have to admit, that he has sowed the seed in my mind and I am seriously thinking of starting a group dedicated to film users and printing.....If I do, I will share my journey here, that's for sure!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I think I need open a high school. No students, but a great photo department!
    I agree!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrence Brennan View Post
    Slightly off topic, but most of those clubs are "camera clubs," as opposed to "photography clubs." I find that kind of interesting.
    [/url]
    I tend to agree, a lot of what passes for the photographic hobby these days on the digital side revolves around the cameras and software more than the actual activity. Not that analog photographers don't have an equipment fetish, but when I saw the Canon 5D Mark II-shaped cake and then the thermos designed to look like the barrel of a Canon DSLR zoom lens, I had to wonder where things had gone off the rails. I also find it a little annoying that any magazine rack "photography" section includes several titles devoted to Photoshop "creativity", when to my mind most of the creativity involved in Photoshop springs from the developers of the application. Digital cameras and image-manipulation software seem to me designed to help the average person manufacture images, and although manufacturing skill is a good thing to have, it's not necessarily the same thing as honing one's craft, something I've struggled with for years and will continue to struggle with for the rest of my life.

Lastly (as I wrap up my rant), I don't see the point of joining a camera club if the camera is doing all the work. My camera can join the club, I'll stay home.

(I need to lurk on those boards where people are asking, "how do I get rid of my film gear?"--they can always give it to me! )
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have not ventured into many clubs, but I am in a very nice one in Berlin, which is dedicated only to analogue black&white photography.
    For newcomers, there are workshops and 6 days a week, you can print, treat and develop your negs up to 4*5"...

The time I've been there, it's been a very nice experience.
    Therefore, anyone in Berlin looking for a photo club like that, sent me a note.
    -Jannis

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin