Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,553   Online: 779

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Internet Photography fora & land-based camera clubs

Is it me, or are both photography clubs and forums almost completely deaf and blind to analogue image capture? They have completely forgotten it, no-one uses it any more, and whenever the subject is brought up they all laugh and reminisce about the huge inconvenience and give remarks like 'well, now with digital we can do so much more' 'why would I use a darkroom, digital is too easy'.

It's shameful. And to think that I still can't locate a darkroom open for public use within 60 miles of Reading, UK. The camera clubs just say 'yeah, we dismantled it, no-one was using it'.

Meanwhile on the internet, discussions are all about Photoshop, HDR, Topiaz adjust, cloning, and all that digital crap. It just seems that whenever someone posts a photo there they are advised to do all kinds of crap to it in PS so that the resulting image just looks like an artificial load of rubbish. Just about everything looks oversharpened, overcontrasted, oversaturated (any combo of the three). Often when posting a film image you get a comment like 'could use some sharpening' or 'run it through noise reduction' - it's grain!

I think the sad reality is that APUG remains the only community where analog photographers can discuss and share their craft.

(rant mode off)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's APUG: a safe harbor from the digital storm. Just be glad we have it and ignore the rest.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And that, my friend, is why we are here. Next time you visit a "photo club" and they tell you they've dismantled the DR, ask them to give you anything left of it so you can have your own DR. How about posting in the local ads for like minded photogs with 'film' interests to join you for a pint (might meet some nice folks).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh I can relate to this so much, the local club here in Potchefstroom states clearly "members can submit 5 images (DIGITAL ONLY) per month" in the little leaflet thingy they leave at their member-exhibitions, that's why I've decided not to join them. I don't even want to know what nonsense they talk about there. I don't think scanning my prints (to get them "digitized", so that the club can project them) will do the prints ANY justice (well all my scans of prints look like poop in comparison to the original print). And they call themselves an "Art photographic club".

Internet forums, well the Internet has a bad habit of attracting trolls and other jerks, well, to be just that.
    The whole anonimity of the web is a big factor, I quess...

That's why I came here...(and someone on Fickl err Flickr once said that "No-one APUG nobody likes digi cams and are mean, grumpy old luddites". That made feel better )

I second Rick's Idea above of placing an ad for like minded photographers in you're area (I did this once, but only got snotty, snide remarks back )

Ricus

Shooter
    35mm
    Slightly off topic, but most of those clubs are "camera clubs," as opposed to "photography clubs." I find that kind of interesting.

Here's an interesting link: http://www.fredsphoto.on.ca/camclub.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Valid observations!

I can report the scenario in India -- E6 / B&W development done only in a handful of labs compared to thousands a few years back. Most of the film that I shoot have to mail ordered from abroad including the chemicals to process them.

However, the internet forums have helped largely in one respect - it has helped make new friends. Many of my photographer friends were once net-acquaintances, now they are family friends and we have our weekly outings and gatherings - not organised like in a traditional club but definitely the physical meetings end up as much more meaningful.

Regards,
    Deb
    -------------
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_peek_in_my_world/
    -------------
    Last edited by debanddg; 07-09-2010 at 08:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricus.stormfire View Post
    Oh I can relate to this so much, the local club here in Potchefstroom states clearly "members can submit 5 images (DIGITAL ONLY) per month" in the little leaflet thingy they leave at their member-exhibitions, that's why I've decided not to join them. I don't even want to know what nonsense they talk about there. I don't think scanning my prints (to get them "digitized", so that the club can project them) will do the prints ANY justice (well all my scans of prints look like poop in comparison to the original print). And they call themselves an "Art photographic club".

Internet forums, well the Internet has a bad habit of attracting trolls and other jerks, well, to be just that.
    The whole anonimity of the web is a big factor, I quess...

That's why I came here...(and someone on Fickl err Flickr once said that "No-one APUG nobody likes digi cams and are mean, grumpy old luddites". That made feel better )

I second Rick's Idea above of placing an ad for like minded photographers in you're area (I did this once, but only got snotty, snide remarks back )

Ricus
    Maybe run the advert to search for "film camera collectors" to meet. Might make a good ruse to lure in some without the snide and rude remarks.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Interesting. The club I am a member of has never had a problem with what you use to get the pictures. Yes, they do have digital comps, but they also have prints and slides (unfortunately, the slides are dwindling). I have told them, though, that the day they only do digital display is the day I hand in my membership.

I am also, though, thinking of trying to start a film based club. The other thing that I would introduce in such a club is "No Photo Contests". That is another side of photographic and camera clubs that is IMHO not right

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricus.stormfire View Post
    ... (and someone on Fickl err Flickr once said that "No-one APUG nobody likes digi cams and are mean, grumpy old luddites". That made feel better )...
    Hey - I resemble that remark!!

My local club is a little bit different - while I'm the only one who shoots film, the others are appreciative of the difference and have no difficulties with looking at a silver gelatine print (or a 5x7" colour slide on a light box).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Jersey is much the same, I was considering joining the Jersey Photographic Club untill a member told me that my film and darkroom work could not possibly come up to the required club standard, and if I was any sort of photographer I would give away my film equipment and get digital, otherwis it simply was not worth their while allowing me to join, needless to say I did not join,I also hear on the grapevine that the local club has now got very low membership and struggles to recruit,Richard

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin