Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,082   Online: 869

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Loose Gravel]
    To get the glow you need a good negative and a 'high contrast' enlarging system or use contact printing. By high contrast enlarging system, I mean the total flare of the lens and the enlarger needs to be low. Or, to put it another way, the stray reflections inside the enlarger need to be minimized. It needs to be real black in there and use a good lens.

You missed the most important element in the search for the elusive glow in the print, judgemnt. You may have the good negative and a hiigh contrast enlarging system but if you cannot make the judgements required you'll never succeed. The judgements are not just about paper grade and developers or film type and how that is developed, these are relatively routine considerations. We have to make judgements when choosing the exposure time to put a highlight just where you want it, I regularly adjust my print exposure by 2/10ths of 1 second to place the highlight exactly where I want it. A little more or a little less and the image does not glow. The important judgements are the relationships between the various tones within the print and how they express what you feel and want to show in the print. It's already been said in this thread that a print does not need to have a white to glow, that's down to the relationaship of the tonality and contrast within the print. When we view a subject we intend to photograph we have the benefit of seeing it with space and distance and it is three dimentional but when we print it we are limited to expressing that space and distance in tones of black white and grey and it is one dimensional on a flat piece of paper. I believe this is why we should work to understand and control contrast and having done that we should use it to express our feelings for the subject we choose to show. This is a great thread, thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Les, I love you! You have exposed to me another rut I feel I've gotten into. I've been adjusting my print exposures in quarter stop increments. While 2/10 of a second is a little beyond my equipment technology, I could be adjusting much finer than I currently am. Thanks!
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Really great thread. Got so much out of your postings, (esp Les and Loose Gravel), thanks very much for sharing your thoughts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin