Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,679   Posts: 1,482,183   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I'm currently shooting a roll of tungsten film with a yellow filter. I'm thinking it will result in normal-ish looking colors, perhaps a bit warm. I saw evidence on flickr suggesting that this might actually result in pleasing photographs.... but we'll see.
    There are such filters: the 85 series, but they are more amber than yellow. Depending upon the actual color temp. of the light you are shooting in you can get a normal-ish result. Pleasing photographs... that is always possible depending on who is being pleased...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need a blue filter to correct tungsten film to daylight appearance. IIRC, there are three different ones depending on the temperture of available the light.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Pleasing photographs... that is always possible depending on who is being pleased...
    Well put. I don't have an 85 filter, hence this experiment.

Now, Q.G., tell me this doesn't look normal-ish.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiffibunny/1158134056/ (not mine... Holga?... gimme a break... )

And no, a blue filter would not be good with tungsten film outside. Unless you are attempting to simulate being underwater perhaps.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well put. I don't have an 85 filter, hence this experiment.
    If nothing else, always fun, experiments!

Now, Q.G., tell me this doesn't look normal-ish.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiffibunny/1158134056/ (not mine... Holga?... gimme a break... )
    I can't tell right now, because i'm at a computer with a broken monitor.
    It shows everything as if through a yellow filter...
    (True!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hahaha! Try finding some pictures with a blue cast and they might just look normal to you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    You need a blue filter to correct tungsten film to daylight appearance. IIRC, there are three different ones depending on the temperture of available the light.
    That's for Daylight film in tungsten light.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hahaha! Try finding some pictures with a blue cast and they might just look normal to you.
    You'd think so, perhaps. But they only look dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I never use them, have one, but used it for fog enhancment and didnt care for the effect.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 17/4 SMC Takumar M42 mount Fisheye lens with built in filters (UV, Red, and Yellow) for use with B&W film.

Out of curiosity, I tried a couple of shots with the coloured filters using dayllight colour negative film.

The results were not particularly pleasing and resembled what you might have expected from having attached some yellow or red cellophane in front of the lens.

So, if wanting a pre-view, get come colured cellophane and look through it: what you see is what you'll get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Out of fairness to color filters for B&W effects, you can use them for creative monotone prints. Try a red or orange at sunrise or sunset. Maybe a green filter with a dark forest scene or with a water scene. It drives color labs crazy trying to correct them.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin