Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,104   Online: 883

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    When you,'ve tested your shutter speeds and assumint your test is accurate how do you know what margin of error is acceptable and still be within tolerance ?, because no shutter is absolutely accurate,.
    This depends on what materials you use it for (B&W, slide, color) and what you are willing to accept, but there is a standard for shutter speeds and it is rather liberal.

I use the following for B&W materials:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ShutterSpeeds2.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    A couple points....

This method only compares your shutter to the digital camera shutter. Its usefulness depends on the digital camera's shutter being accurate.
    Agreed, I stated that assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    A couple points....
    Second, you might be tempted to use a similar method to check or adjust lens aperture scales. Keep in mind if you do this, you will be correcting for lens absorbtion, haze, and filter factor, and you will really be getting something like T-stops rather than F/stops. Depending on how much you value accurate DOF calculations compared to accurate exposure calculations, and how diverse your lens collection is, this could be a good or bad thing.
    No question about your point. I was reffering to problems like sticky diaphragm (happened to me) where the shutter will complete its cycle before the diaphragm closed, resulting in several stops overexposure (depends on the aperture settings)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The way I look at it is that for me there's no point in my trying to check my shutter speeds because if they are inaccurate I don't know how to correct them, so I might as well leave it to a professional who does.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It makes sense though to test shutters yourself.
    Even if a professional repairman would test for free, you would have to go to, or send the equipment to, him before you even know whether there is something else for him to do also.
    If however you can test the shutter yourself, without too much trouble... no need for all that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The way I look at it is that for me there's no point in my trying to check my shutter speeds because if they are inaccurate I don't know how to correct them, so I might as well leave it to a professional who does.
    You can correct for exposure deviations caused by incorrect but consistent shutter speeds through compensating aperture changes.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    You can correct for exposure deviations caused by incorrect but consistent shutter speeds through compensating aperture changes.
    You are quite right but I personally couldn't be bothered with that Ralph, It's far too messy I have six Canon FD SLR bodys I would have to remember which speeds were inaccurate on each body.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are quite right but I personally couldn't be bothered with that Ralph, It's far too messy I have six Canon FD SLR bodys I would have to remember which speeds were inaccurate on each body.
    Ben

Face it, you have too many cameras!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ben

Face it, you have too many cameras!
    My wife Ralph is always encouraging me top take a mistress, she says it would be cheaper than my photography !
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-21-2010 at 07:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife Ralph is always encouraging me top have a mistress, she says it would be cheaper than my photography !
    My wife thinks photography is cheaper than bowling if you divide the cost by the hours spent with it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My wife thinks photography is cheaper than bowling if you divide the cost by the hours spent with it.
    At least photography Isn't a load of balls.
    Ben

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin