Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,139   Online: 871

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to number the rolls of exposed film as soon as they came out of the camera.
    Then hand them all over to the lab, who of course tossed the backing paper with the numbers on them.
    Took me a (very short) while to realize how little purpose that served, and stopped the silly practice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's one of my problems as well. My lab throws stuff like that away, and the alternative is to write on the film in total dark while loading it, and that's probably not going to be very practical. So I assume, if I do this, my exposure notes should indicate some sort of description of the scene I'm doing (or waste a frame by photographing a serial number).

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I shoot with a camera with a built in meter I tend not to record exposure. If it does not I generally do. Don't ask why! I record a description, conditions, exposure, lens, and focus, as well as film and ISO rating. I find it very useful to go back to these notes and check them at times. In particular for night exposures and sunsets, which I can find quite tricky.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use B&W film (medium and large format). I only keep a record when I purposely over or under expose. Since I am using available light ifif and when retuning to a location at another time the lighting will probably be different.

Jeff

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    " to recording the exposure details of my photos." I don't.

That has been a weakness of mine and, come to think of it, I view it as a strength as well.. Hurry up, get it done. My plate was always too full!

However, when I was only film based, there is this thing called latitude and I realized that at each step there is built in latitude. And, at least in my mind, photography isn't an exact science. You spoke of one variable, light outdoors that has multiple variables, from time of day to time of the year, cloud cover, altitude and so on. Perhaps that's how I justify my lack of records relative to exposure! However, with studio photography, things are more controlled and I usually kept records, especially at the beginning when I first started out. But I also relied on a Polaroid back to determine things! And there are variables during developing and printing as well!

Now with the other method of capture this information is recorded for each photograph I make. I rarely use it. Sorry, I guess I'm not a good boy!

At any rate, I wanted a certain look with my photography. And I find it changes with how I see things and with each session I do. I really pay attention to lighting, posing, composition and rapport with my clients.

Hope this rambling helps you!
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    35mm
    Since I only rarely actually meter the light, there's not too much I can write down. Sometimes I make a mental note if the scene was very high contrast, and I also usually forget it a few minutes later.

I've been gravitating toward just using a standard development routine on all my film. The more stuff is standardized, the less I have to note. In 35mm recently it's always been Neopan 400 in Rodinal 1:50 at 20C for 8 minutes, unless it was very dim, then I want to use Xtol to get more shadow speed, or if it was really sunny I might use D23 if I'm worried about my highlights...so, yeah. I should take notes.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you for your ramblings, Bill, I appreciate them.

I must admit I am a bit unclear myself of the actual purpose of the exposure records. They are nice to have, most definitively, but if I don't get a lab process my film, I just write the effective ISO on the paper around the film, and that's it. I am probably too used to EXIF on digital pictures, and want to have similar information available for my analog photography. That said, I am not very good with a light meter, so for my Mamiya C-kit, recording exposure would probably be wise, as I have been mislead before by my meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I carry a small spiral notebook and record frame number, subject, aperture, shutter speed and filter. And depending on what I'm doing, I may record a meter reading. For my medium format stuff it works well to dedicate a page to each roll. I admit to sometimes getting absorbed in the camera work and forgetting to write something in. I do sometimes look at this information, especially when trying a new film. Like say, the Rollei IR 400 I went thru last week. I have been transcribing this data into spreadsheet pages, one per roll, which are indexed by subject and film type from pages in the front I find it helpful from time to time, but I suppose I also have mild OCD!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I process a film I always write the camera and lens details, the location and date, the film used and the EI it was used at and the developer details including time.

I have no idea why as I have never refered to any of this data!

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    <>

My LF photography is porbably my only exception to the hither-and-yon approach I generally use with the Minoltas. 4x5, I keep meticulous notes on every negative down to the number of insect bites during. Well, maybe not THAT meticulously.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin