Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,603   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Recording exposure

Hi there.

I'm a bit sloppy when it comes to recording the exposure details of my photos.
    Ansel Adams has a sheet you can use for exposure, but it's very focused on the zone system and it's also very focused on large format. I do not practice the zone system myself, and I shoot medium format, so it doesn't fit very well together with my work flow.

How do you people record your exposure information?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When i do (and i don't do very often) in a little notebook.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a little Olympus pocket hard disc voice recorder and write it down when I get home
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    When i do (and i don't do very often) in a little notebook.
    What details do you write down?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went on-line to one of those custom rubber stamp outfits and had one done to include; location, holder#. lens/F-length, shutter speed, f-stop, film type, etc. and had it sized to fit on a 3x5 index card. Next stop was an OfficeMax, picked up a pad of perforated index cards and stamped the pages/cards on the reverse, blank side. After processing the negative the card goes in an adjacent slot in the print file page. Cuts storage capacity in half, but I can always recall the details of the shot.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I went on-line to one of those custom rubber stamp outfits and had one done to include; location, holder#. lens/F-length, shutter speed, f-stop, film type, etc. and had it sized to fit on a 3x5 index card. Next stop was an OfficeMax, picked up a pad of perforated index cards and stamped the pages/cards on the reverse, blank side. After processing the negative the card goes in an adjacent slot in the print file page. Cuts storage capacity in half, but I can always recall the details of the shot.
    That is such a great idea, in fact I think I will copy that idea.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eising View Post
    What details do you write down?
    It depends on why i want to record details. I don't record anything when i don't do anything out of the ordinary.
    Sometimes i record just the aperture and shutterspeed. Sometimes what lens was used. Sometimes the amount i (for whatever reason) deviated from what the meter said. Sometimes details about the subject. Or any combination of these.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I make a mental note at the time then forget it a few minutes later.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I make a mental note at the time then forget it a few minutes later.
    I have also been using this method quite successfully. I always manage to both make the mental note and forget it a few moments later.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A slightly related question: For those of you who do make good notes of exposure, do you actually use that information at a later date? The only reason I can think of for retaining the data is to publish it when posting an image e.g. in the galleries here.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin