Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,651   Online: 987

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

A tribute the man who may have made it all possible

Inspired by the threads about the history of Photography I though I'd share my enthusiasm for an old fella who some of you may know of. Permit me a little bit of a shaggy dog story but hopefully it will illustrate why this guy was a 'cool dude'

His name is the Abū Alī al-Ḥasan ibn al-Ḥasan ibn al-Haytham. (he gets called al-Haytham) He's long dead.

Well, 1000 years ago, he was considered pretty good at mathematics. So good, he was hired to predict the seemingly random episodes of the flooding of the Nile in Egypt, and to devise a way of stemming the flood when it next occurred. He built some clever structures that still exist today, which measured the height of the river, and through mathematical modeling could predict next time it would flood.

Sadly, the boss wasn't happy with that and asked him to actually stop the next flood. After trying to build a dam at Aswan (now known to be quite a good place to build a dam) he realised it was impossible and pretended to go mad to get out of the deal (this sounds bad now, but relative to what happened at the time to sane people reneging on a deal, was the best way out)

So our pal Al-Haytham was under house arrest from 1011 until his imprisoner's death 10 years later. This was before the Normans conquered England. In fact they had only just become Normans after invading France, lions still roamed Europe, and Spain was still Muslim, hundreds of years away from dominating the world with Catholicism and destroying Science with the Inquisition and the Dark Ages.

Anyway, he had some great ideas about optics. He proved that light travels in straight lines. He also made the first Camera Obscura. On the way, he just happened to define the Scientific Method

I would heartily encourage everyone to have a little read of what this fella did for Maths, Physics and Optics. And (if you'll forgive me for a little bit of politicising) think about where in the world he came from: Basra, Iraq.

He's certainly my photographic hero.

(for the record I'm not promoting this as a cultural/religious thing: I'm an athiest born as a Scottish Presbyterian)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Atheism, And Analog Photography.
    We Might Have To Create An APUG Group !

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York,
    And The Macro Management, and Long Island @ Large Format APUG Groups

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    It's a good combination for me!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm leaving for work in a few minutes,
    but I'll create the group when I get home !
    Unless someone else gets to it first.

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York,
    And The Macro Management, and Long Island @ Large Format APUG Groups

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    this could be interesting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by neilpcraven View Post
    Anyway, he had some great ideas about optics. He proved that light travels in straight lines. He also made the first Camera Obscura. On the way, he just happened to define the Scientific Method
    Credit to whom it is due: Alhazen is an important guy.
    He however also was about 15 - 16 centuries late in making the first camera obscura.

Much of his contribution to the scientific method too was something he learned from people who lived many, many centuries earlier.

But still!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AAAP? (Atheism And Analog Photography)
    or
    APUG? (Atheist's Photography Users Group)
    Be free of all deception, Be safe from bodily harm
    Love without exception, Be a saint in any form
    (Patti Smith)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Credit to whom it is due: Alhazen is an important guy.
    He however also was about 15 - 16 centuries late in making the first camera obscura.

Much of his contribution to the scientific method too was something he learned from people who lived many, many centuries earlier.

But still!
    Even "Common Sense" is a Learned Technique!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm leaving for work in a few minutes,
    but I'll create the group when I get home !
    Unless someone else gets to it first.
    Will this be the 2nd group of yours that I have to join Ron? At least with this one I'm justified in belonging! (member of the Long Island group, though I've never even been to the east coast north of NC)

But seriously, this is a nice post about a cool guy that deserves recognition for sure. I'd like to take a shot at reading 'Optics'.

And did lions really roam Europe?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ibn al-Haytham was a real badass polymath, all right. I stumbled over him (well, not in person, but his historical influence) while in gradual school---geometers, it turns out, *really* owe their livelihoods to that guy, but he's not particularly well-known as a Great Mathematician Of History.

He doesn't seem to have built *the* first camera obscura, but he may have been the first to get systematic about understanding what one was and how it worked. It kind of depends on where you draw the line between saying "If you poke a hole here it does something interesting" and "I'm gonna build me a camera!"

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin