Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,563   Online: 771

Shooter
    35mm RF

Exposure? Scanning? Film? issue - Please help me.

Dear all,

I have been in analogue for so far 3 months, I took all my film develop in pro lab, and I scan it myself using Epson V500.

Things (I thought) were going well not until yesterday I decided to 'scan' it with my Fujifilm S5 Pro, shooting in RAW, then invert it to positive in Photoshop CS3. Something pretty awful happened. I 'scan' it using the white backlight of my laptop, then crop them to show you all.

I did not accept this (photo attached) happen. On the left, the lighting was from indoor itself (consider the right color for me), where on right, it was a cloudy weather. That day, I was using Fujifilm 400H Pro, rated at 200 and shot.

My question is, the one on left was definitely correct color, but why the color on right such blueish? Is it because overexpose, or something else? Why the color has such a huge offset? (The rest of the outdoor shots were like that when I 'scan' with my camera)

Any idea?

Thanks,
    uchan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    what temperature was the WB on your S5?
    you should "callibrate" it to the temperature of your laptopscreen.
    Fujifilm 400H Pro is a daylight film, so the picture on the left should be reddish, the one on the right correct.
    i can only imagine you didn't set the right temperature for this "scanning".

btw, why "scan" with your S5 if you have a V500??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm pretty sure the moderators are going to jump in soon and advise to take the discussion to www.hybridphoto.com

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten m View Post
    what temperature was the WB on your S5?
    you should "callibrate" it to the temperature of your laptopscreen.
    Fujifilm 400H Pro is a daylight film, so the picture on the left should be reddish, the one on the right correct.
    i can only imagine you didn't set the right temperature for this "scanning".

btw, why "scan" with your S5 if you have a V500??
    Maarten, the temperature was 2950 on my S5Pro. Just now, I reopen my RAW, I manually inverted the tone curve, and tweaked the temperature, they were still the same - as in the photo on left become more uglier and the right become even more uglier.

Yes, I notice that, 400H Pro is a daylight film, just wondering what happen when using in those conditions that is not daylight.

I was playing it out of random. What a surprise to see it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    uchan, you scanned it with the filter to make balance the indoor shot. This is a scanning problem and should by on hybridphoto.com

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    uchan, you scanned it with the filter to make balance the indoor shot. This is a scanning problem and should by on hybridphoto.com

Steve
    I will try it with a filter.

Thomas, and Steve, thanks for the advise. I will try to post it on hybridphoto.com.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you can also try this group: http://www.apug.org/forums/groups/hy...oto-group.html

Thanks

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin