Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,628   Online: 746

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Another factor to take into account is the size/form factor of the meter.

I have a cheap little Sekonic which has limited range and a Luna Pro. I love using the Luna Pro as I feel like the readings are more consistently the readings I want. Unfortunately it isn't exactly pocketable like the Sekonic. I end up using the Sekonic 85% of the time as a result.

If I want spot metering-like functionality, I have to admit... I turn to the Lightmeter app on my the iPhone. I always have the phone with me and the app only cost a few dollars. The interface annoys me at times but it gives me a good preview of what the scene would look light given the metering. Its sort of like meter+continuous polaroids-DoF preview. Mostly though, I'm just too cheap to buy a good, high end spot meter.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I want spot metering-like functionality, I have to admit... I turn to the Lightmeter app on my the iPhone. I always have the phone with me and the app only cost a few dollars. The interface annoys me at times but it gives me a good preview of what the scene would look light given the metering. Its sort of like meter+continuous polaroids-DoF preview. Mostly though, I'm just too cheap to buy a good, high end spot meter.

So you popped for an iPhone and a sketchy app?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those Gossen meters with a needle and a scale-type readout with 0 in its center allow you to easily "place" the measured value as you desire and thus overcome the meter's ignorance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be a little leery of buying used. I purchased a Luna Pro F new many years ago and love it. But, about 4 years ago, I notice it was off by several stops. Sent it to Bogan, which is or was the importer at that time, and they said the boards of these models had to be replaced, they had problems with this model boards and could not calibrate it. It cost me $150, which was about half the normal charge.

I went ahead, and it is still working fine. The point is, you buy a used one, and might end up between a rock and a hard spot. I think both Sekonic and Gossen new meters start at about $100.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi David,

I got The Gossen LunaPro on eBay for $40.00,
    and the Spotmeter attachment for $20.00 it should be here today !!!
    The LunaPro Is A Very Versatile Meter, Especially In Low Light,
    And especially for $40.00, hopefully it will be an excellent $60.00
    Spotmeter Also ...
    Previously I've been using the Sekonic L-398 for the past 30 years.
    It's an excellent daylight meter, and does not need a battery.
    but it's not for low light levels, that's why I got the Lunapro.
    I'm running the Lunapro on # 675 Hearing Aid Batteries,
    from Radio Shack, no fancy adapters necessary.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    I use a Luna Pro F with the snap-on angle viewer and it works very well for me. Easy to use and seems pretty accurate; more reliable than the built-in meters in my old Nikons. I chose the F version because it works with a standard 9-volt battery, some of the older versions require obsolete batteries.
    That's what I have. Love it!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After I bought my SQ-A and discovered my ancient meters were either dead, dubious, or wanted mercury batteries*, I bought a Gossen Digisix, there's also the Digiflash if you need one with flash metering. The dollar vs Euro have been all over the place, but I think lately they're about $125. It's got good sensitivity, does incident and reflected, but no spot and uses a widely available lithium coin-type cell. Later I acquired a Sekonic L508 off ePrey, but that was around $250 at the time. It will meter flash, but so far I've never done that; the spot metering is cool, and variable from 1 to 4º. The Sekonic, while light in weight is a major handful compared with the Digisix (which has a $$$ accessory shoe mount available).

*I did try a Cris adapter in my old Gossen Super Pilot, only to discover the contact springs didn't really work right. I soldered in a Schottky diode and used a watch battery of the original physical size, but that brought me back to the fact the old CDS beast was horribly sluggish to make readings anyway so after a few weeks of frustration, I threw money at the problem. The two new-to-me meters are instantaneous by comparison.

Shooter
    35mm

Clarification about meter

Thank you everyone for their responses.

I'm still learning about light meters, so I apologize for being unclear.

In retrospect, I should have specified that I think I need a spot meter...not only for my current medium format work, but also if I make the jump to 4 x 5.

I will be developing my own film and am trying to employ the Zone system to be more precise and reproducible in my results. Landscapes will be my focus since we just moved to Utah.

I guess I don't understand why everyone wouldn't use a spot meter for landscapes?

Thank you again.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Gossen LunaPro F uses a 9 volt battery and is at least 20 years old.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I already had the phone; that was sunk cost before I looked around at light meters.

The app was only a $3 risk and it works quite well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin