Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,699   Online: 713

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've tried multiple exposures as described in Les McLean's book; but have a few problems. All my LF lens are old. Their slower shutter speeds appear to be off by alot. And they all require manual cocking. I would think the manual cocking would jar the camera enough to blur the image, even when on a sturdy tripod. Since my exposure times are long ( several seconds), was thinking of using a black hat, etc., to cover lens between exposures. Any suggestions?
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Doug,
    All my LF lenses are old too. I trust the times to be approximate, and usually stick with times I can check by ear. They also need manual cocking.

Yet I have had no problem at all using the LesMcLean Mulitexposure technique, with 16 exposures each 1/4 second the result was even better than I hoped. Use a sturdy tripod, a heavy camera, and clamp everything down tight.

This is one of the few situations where an old Linhof Technika III 5x7" is better than a brand new exotic-wood-and-titanium camera!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The simplest method I have used is to shoot the first exposure at night and the second during the day... To date these are my favourite multi-exposures, made with a compact 35mm camera. (because it was easy to wind reset the shutter without moving the film)

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've read carefully, but here's a question about Les' method: what if i want to do a certain number of exposures instead of having a certain shutter speed i want to go for? How would i divide the original exposure?

e.g. dividing 1/125 into three exposures.

Would i shoot three exposures of 1/45 [three stops down of 1/125 for each of the three exposures] or divide 125 by 3 and match it with the closest shutter time?

-Sino.
    Close your eyes to see. This will take a while.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin