Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,482   Online: 952

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I wish I could make film work for my travel photography...again for me digital seems to be easier for that. But I can not help but wonder what some of my travel shot would be like if I had taken them with film???
    Digital is undoubtedly easier for travel photography if you want a record of anything and everything which you see on your trips. Years ago, pre-digital, I used to shoot dozens of pics of everything which I saw on holiday trips, but I realised later that I was only getting one or two worth enlarging and keeping, and all the rest finished up in drawers full of slides, negs and small prints which were never looked at again!
    I now enjoy much more just taking much fewer and better (or, at least more satisfying to me!) pictures. At times when all I really need is a good record of where I've been, I sometimes think it's best to buy a guidebook or card, where the illustrations have been made in the best conditions, rather than waste precious holiday time in trying to make my pictures in unsuitable weather or impossible crowds of other visitors!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    rather than waste precious holiday time in trying to make my pictures in unsuitable weather or impossible crowds of other visitors!
    Unless one likes photographing impossible crowds of other visitors

(i do)

I'll add that we used to run a dual facility where I work teaching both B&W and Color ... yes, we had a great wet color darkroom with a nice Sitte Tischer paper processor,etc. I am slightly color blind and was never a great color printer -- it was fairly frustrating, but as I didn't shoot a lot of color film not really the end of the world

So I do any/all my color work digital. My Mac and Epsons aren't color blind, hehe. However I just appreciate the B&W aesthetic more which is why I continue to shoot mostly film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post

(i do)

I'll add that we used to run a dual facility where I work teaching both B&W and Color ... yes, we had a great wet color darkroom with a nice Sitte Tischer paper processor,etc. I am slightly color blind and was never a great color printer -- it was fairly frustrating, but as I didn't shoot a lot of color film not really the end of the world

So I do any/all my color work digital. My Mac and Epsons aren't color blind, hehe. However I just appreciate the B&W aesthetic more which is why I continue to shoot mostly film.
    I have basically adopted the same idea. B&W is film. I can process it and print it. With color I can buy a C-41 kit and process it but I cannot print so I have to scan and then print.
    A couple of weeks ago I bought a Nikon 45mm f/2.8P lens that is a pancake type Tessar design lens that makes my FE rangefinder small. On my next trip I am going to take the FE with the 45mmP as a walk around camera loaded with Neopan or Tri-X and see how it goes.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    35mm

(i do)
    Well, there you are then....photograph the crowds on real film and your pictures will be even better!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Well, there you are then....photograph the crowds on real film and your pictures will be even better!
    I do. That wasn't my point

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So I do any/all my color work digital. My Mac and Epsons aren't color blind, hehe. .
    I know what you mean . . . BUT . . . Portra NC is also not color blind and neither is Fuji 400H! I also shoot mostly b&w, but I really love the look of C41 print films compared to digi. Beautiful rendition, even if you scan and print inkjet. If you have the money to put C41 through a good lab with a good scanning regimen, it's much more beautiful than digi and it's easy and quick (although a bit expensive).

Just sayin: don't let color film die either!
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think a local drug store still processes C-41, 35mm??? I think I may shot some of my color film and let them process it and I can scan it.
    I have been told my new Nikon 45mmP lens excels at color? I did shot a few digi color shots and it does look nice there but I want to try some of my Ektar 100.
    You have motivated me...thanks.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've shot Digital longer than film. For me, Digital is for 'easy money', Film is for 'myself'. I mainly do color work with digital, that is unless it is with my medium formats. Bw's are all film. I really haven't touch my digital since a wedding in August. As for the turn out rate, saying film is better over digital, same here. Simply because It takes more thoughts before I press the button. Plus half of my film gear are not TTL. Thing it is for me, I'm not going to shoot too with a trigger happy finger when i am using film, I'm not gonna spend 45 mins to develop a roll that I know its not gonna be interesting, that would be completely waste of time and money. About inkjet prints. Its just not as personal as silver gelatin, for film i take care of the whole process from loading the film to drying the print, far more personal.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why did you shoot 150 frames? Would you have used an equivalent number of rolls of film in the same situation?

I would like to have a digital SLR, but only to replace 35mm. I like the spontaneity of a hand camera, but my eyes aren't what they used to be and autofocus would be nice. That coupled with the fact that there are no pro photo labs within 10 miles of where I live and my scanner doesn't like 35mm. I've been shooting MF and LF almost exclusively for several years now, and I miss being able to make a good grab shot or being able to react quickly in fast-changing light. I'm not about to give up film for electrons and digits. Not no way, not no how.

Peter Gomena

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin