Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,410   Online: 961

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Newbie success with 4x5

Just thought I'd share some success. I've now successfully exposed & developed sheet film for the first time yesterday.

Most of my photography is 35mm and some 6x7, but I've recently bought a 4x5 Crown Graphic so that I can try LF. I spent some "quality time" reading up on loading the dark slides and how to develop the film, including some good videos on YouTube.

I had previously bought a CombiPlan daylight tank for sheet film, but I then realised that it takes 1.2 litres which is more than my beakers & opaque bottles will hold, so I decided to use tray developing this time.

The results turned out good, MUCH better than I'd hoped for given that it was my first attempt. However I found the process of tray developing a bit hit-and-miss, hard to keep the sheets in order and quite prone to scratching. I'll get some bigger beakers & bottles and try the CombiPlan soon, that might be more practical for me.

I love the way the negatives look, I'll contact print them tomorrow night, and I'll try to enlarge them next time I have access to a suitable enlarger.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some newbie good news

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And a hearty pat on the back to you. Have you tried the "taco" method of developing? I use a plastic 2 reel tank and gently fold the sheet (no crease)until the edges just touch and place a rubber band around to hold. I can fit four sheets in my tank at a time. Make sure the black center assembly is in the tank before loading, or you will get light fogging. There are a few threads here about the method.
    Oh-- welcome to Apug!
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Have you tried the "taco" method of developing?
    No, I haven't heard of that one before. I'll do some searching and reading about it, thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean the usual (eg Paterson) plastic tanks which hold 2 35mm rolls, or some different tank?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never heard of the Taco method before, but it sounds like a great idea.
    I use mostly tray processing (with a lot of trays to prevent scratching). My Combiplan works with 9x12cm but is slightly too big for 4x5" so they usually manage to escape the holder.
    I will give the Taco method a try.

Thanks

Jesper

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an AP brand tank which is the same as the Arista brand sold by Freestyle. I have a Peterson Super System 2 reel tank, but the AP works better, and is less money.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, and as for scratched negatives and having to use trays it is your first time out, did your first roll of film come out perfect? You have passed the hurdle of actually developing a negative, now it's time to refine the process.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats! May you have more great results. My first try in processing 4x5 in a tray was a disaster. Scratched up my film.

I use an old Yankee Agitank and that works well for me. What I don't like is that it takes a 1/2 liter of chemicals to process 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    cluttered, welcome to APUG!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, welcome to APUG from Melbourne. I think you'll find the Combi-Plan helps get rid of those annoying little scratches. I'm also new to 4 x 5 film, and I'm really loving the Combi-Plan.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Welcome to APUG, and as for scratched negatives and having to use trays it is your first time out, did your first roll of film come out perfect? You have passed the hurdle of actually developing a negative, now it's time to refine the process.
    Yep, that's the way I'm looking at it. I felt like there was quite a learning curve getting into 4x5 compared with 35mm & 120, but now I'm a lot more confident, and those big negatives make it all worthwhile.

My negatives aren't noticeably scratched, there's just a couple of very small marks which should be able to be spotted once I get them printed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin