Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,672   Online: 1172

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    with B&W stereo the pair of images are converted to positives, lantern slides, and projected through two different colour filters and a set of coloured glasses used to see the 3D images, Green one eye Red the other. It's easy to look up.
    This much I'm familiar with, but this is additve. Would there be a way to have a subtractive+glasses 3D system? I need to sit in a quiet room and meditate or something to think it through, which at the moment I can't do.

Anyways, just something to think about... coupled with toning, and cementing the two together you could have an integral anaglyph slide.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It doesn't matter whether it is additive or subtractive, as long as they are complementary.
    Or rather, using narrow band pass filters, the colours can be any ones you like, don't have to be complementary, as long as one of the two filters passes only one of the two colours you select to use, the other filter only the other colour.
    Or rather (again - sorry!) as long as one filter blocks the one colour, the other filter blocks the other colour, they can pass a much wider band. So narrow band block filters would do to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you so far, fellows

The point is that a colleague of mine who had the very Greene camera of 1890 in his hands insists on that it is a stereoscopic device. We were already in a see-saw like Duplex - Stereo - Duplex! - Stereo! so I decided to put the question out.

I for myself donít believe much in stereoscopy with William Friese-Greene. It seems Iíve touched a British national emblem because even small errors are hardly correctable. For instance, Willie Green cannot have married a swiss baroness, Victoria Mariana Helena Friese. There arenít any titles of nobility in Switzerland any more since the confederational constitution of 1848. Also the name Friese is absolutely not swiss but rather german or maybe austrian. She must have been the daugther of a foreign baron. I donít believe anything anymore until hard proof.

Most certainly the portrait photographer Friese-Greene got caught by the idea of motion pictures. It was his son who dealt with stereoscopy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may be reading rather glamourised fictitious details about Greene. As there was a movie made about him it's likely that bits were embellished for the film rather than being strictly accurate.

The Patents etc for his early stereo cine work exist, he gave public demonstrations and there was much authoritative writing at the time in photographic magazines and scientific journals including Scientific American.

I can't access anything in the link you posted but maybe you need to check some other sources. I can't find anything theat says his wife was a Baroness

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    She was said to be the daughter of a swiss baron: http://www.photohistory-sussex.co.uk...llingsAE&K.htm

Green was in Paris in 1888. Has he met Le Prince?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin