Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,670   Online: 868

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whichever 1.3v adapter/battery approach you, I urge you to try it. The LunaPro is a fantastic meter and should serve the vast majority of your needs, if your needs are anything like mine. With the adapter I see the same battery check phenomenon that you mention... the needle goes past the batt check markings. The meter gives me good exposure reading and I've never had any reason from looking at results to think that it has been steering me wrong. Good luck whichever way you go.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Gossen

You can find all you need to know here:

http://www.google.ca/search?client=f...=Google+Search

I was lucky and still have a store of mercury cells for my Minolta cameras.
    B&H has the Gossen alkaline adapters, I will get one shortly.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

Best regards,

/Clay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Silver cells have a power curve more like the old merury cells than does alkaline. Silver cells are better in the Gossen adapter than alkaline for that reason.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With respect, I'd look seriously at getting a new meter. Anything that relied on merc cells--age-related maladies notwithstanding--is dependent on either the MR9 adapter, short-lived+pricey+bothersome zinc-air hacks, or inaccurate alkaline replacements. With film workflow not getting any cheaper, a meter with so-so accuracy seems like a false economy. The Sekonic 508 is a relative bargain now, and the newer 558 usually goes for $300+/-. In a pinch, the little Sekonic 308 does nearly everything except spot metering for a good deal less. I've got the 558 and the 308--love 'em both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, a new metre may be in order. I still use the Gossen for sentimental
    reasons. The new mercury cells from China or Germany are a different
    chemistry and voltage from the old ones. Only in North America are mercury cells banned,
    but we are forced to buy mercury 'green' fluorescent light bulbs! Go figger???

Best regards,

/Clay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    ... a meter with so-so accuracy seems like a false economy.
    That's a very true and factual statement... when and if a meter really has so-so accuracy!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay2 View Post
    chemistry and voltage from the old ones. Only in North America are mercury cells banned,

Best regards,

/Clay
    Beats me, too. Pale to think about the mercury load from fluorescents merrily tossed into landfills. Thought big corp makers like Varta stopped cranking out merc cells in 2000 due to European concerns over heavy metal pollution. Small camera stores around the GTA carried real PX625s a few years later. Have a small stash of those for the still-accurate metered finder on a sweet old black Nikon F.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not only in North America.
    For instance: there are no (!) new mercury cells from Germany.
    And it's not just North America and Germany either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The adapters that permit use of silver-oxide cells work well.

For another option, consider adapters for hearing aid batteries. Hearing aid batteries use the same technology and provide the same voltage as the special purpose zinc-air batteries, but are a lot less expensive.

You can use hearing aid batteries if you adapt them for your meter (they are physically a different size).

There are a number of sources for adapters for size 675 hearing aid batteries. I've been happy with the ones Jon Goodman sells. He can be found on eBay as "interslice". He is best known for his camera light seal kits.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    reasons.
    Just bought one of the old meters myself for $40. It has the $20 adapter to take Silver Oxide cells (don't use alkaline LR44, use SR44 for flatter voltage curve). I've done a little looking, and you have two options if you don't choose to buy the adapter : open the meter up and tweak the trimmers to recalibrate it: http://www.graphic-fusion.com/lunapro.htm (LunaSix = Luna Pro), or get a Schottky diode (like a BAT-54) for under a buck from Digikey and solder it (or have an EE friend do it) in series with the positive battery terminal.
    Same result either way and your meter is good for many years to come.

Regards,
    Peter

//mine's for use with my Revere Stereo 33 inherited from my father-in-law.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin