Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,050   Online: 953

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Gossen Luna Pro...

Hello all. I have a question about metering in general, and MY light meter specifically...

I have a Hass. 500C. I purchased a Gossen Luna Pro about a year ago. Now that I've had it for a while, I think I sorta have it figured out- by that, I mean I generally have to add 1 to 1 1/2 stops to the reading to get a good exposure. I have checked the batteries, and even replaced them...

My question is, is this normal???

It seems somehow not right to me... Maybe this is a newbie question or mistake, but it seems like I should be getting a correct exposure with the suggested EV... assuming all is "normal"... I know that night photography, or a high key subject, etc., will be difficult to meter. I'm mainly talking about an average, normal subject... I guess I want to know if I'm asking for too much from my light meter, and if you'se guys have a similar experience...???

Also, I have a bit of $$$ burning a hole in my pocket... Would you'se guys suggest buying the Hass. exposure meter winding knob contraption (sorry- it's early, the correct name is escaping me ), OR... a spot meter... Or, is my Luna Pro good enough???

I was thinking either of these might be best, tho I'm not 100% sure, so I thought I'd ask my fellow APUG'ers...

Thanks in advance, all... I love this site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which version of the LunaPro do you have, the one with PX-13 cells? If so, it originally ran at 1.3 volts. Did you replace with batteries that are 1.3 volts? If you put in 1.5 volt batteries that could be the cause of the difference.

I use a Luna Pro, with the Gossen battery converter, with Hassy all the time. It's a good combo.

If you really have money burning a hole, look into getting a meter that will increase your versatility to include flash and spot metering. I also use a Sekonic L-558. It, too, is a great combo with Hassy, and view camera too. For one of those , or the newer version (758) plan on becoming about $500 lighter. You did use three dollar signs when you mentioned money. It hurts to pay that much for a meter, but once the sting of writing the check or paying the CC bill is over you'll feel better, and probably not be tempted to buy another meter for a long, long time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't see a model number on it, but it DOES have the PX-13 batteries.... When I use the battery check function, the needle goes PAST the area in red... If it didn't get to the red, I'd assume the batteries were dead, or dying. But, like I said, mine goes PAST...

And I do have some $$$ burning a hole in my pocket, but I can't see spending $500 on a light meter... I guess I was wondering if it was a common thing, to ALWAYS have to add a stop or so to the suggested reading...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And... I just opened the battery compartment. The batteries both say PX625A...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you tried the 'Sunny 16' method to validate that the issue is meter inaccuracy, and not shutter speed inaccuracy in the Hassy lens?

Aiming the meter at the sky at an angle to the sun should net 1/ISO f/16 or close to that. Or if you have an 18% gray card in bright sun, you should get the same result.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PX625A is the alkaline chemistry form factor, and that is nominally 1.5v (and progressively declining in voltage as the battery is depleted, down to 1.25v) and not the constant 1.35v associated with the older mercuric oxide battery chemistry.

Unfortunately I do not have sufficient familiarity with the Luna Pro to know if its circuit design is tolerant of alkaline cell variability (compared to mercuric oxide), as some meter designs are and others are not tolerant of non-mercuric oxide batteries.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow... that's alot of technical info.. Thanks! I do think it's the meter... I have several lenses for my Hasselblad, and I use the meter with my Richoflex VII as well... All in all, I guess it's not a big deal, right? I mean, one way or the other, I'm able to consistently expose my negatives properly... It just rubs me the wrong way, for some reason. I think I'll just stick with what I have for now. Maybe I could use another lens instead

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Found some references to older Luna Pros which take button cells (newer ones take standard 9v batteries)...and it seems that you need to use MR9 adapters to match the electrical characteristic of mercuric oxide using alkaline button cells. Or us a similar adapter offered by Bogen, and available thru B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=89868&is=REG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to try these Wein batteries which are rated for 1.35V and the voltage is more constant than alkaline. I have one in my Gossen Super Pilot which use PX-13 batteries. The battery already has an adapter on it and so you just have to put it in. Plus the price is right!

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/990120...625?cat_id=205

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all... I appreciate your help very much

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin