Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,142   Online: 769

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    How were we? Do you want to do it again? I think we could do better, i mean, i didn't quite catch the right tone. Not quite, i mean... what do you say?
    Sure-why not?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    I know for a fact I do - I call them our cats though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paulie View Post
    i am however talking about a possible binary star

NASA is in fact currently engaged in an infrared sky-survey project to try to find such objects. Look here:

http://wise.ssl.berkeley.edu/index.html

though it will take them a while to sort the data.

I'd still have to say, basically not possible with film, even if you knew where to look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is also known as the "Nemesis Theory". It has been debunked in the following manner.

Jupiter is 200X larger than the Earth and is not a brown dwarf but it does distort the solar system a tad due to its mass. A brown dwarf would have to be much more massive than Jupiter and would distort orbits to an even greater extent in spite of the distance. In view of the rather stable orbits of the minor planets found in the Oort cloud and the lack of distortions elsewhere, a brown dwarf is not very likely at all and one with an irregular orbit is impossible based on the stability of the Solar System.

If a brown dwarf entered the Solar System proper, it would disrupt the orbits totally and we would not see the relative stability now seen and traceable back over millions of years.

Now, this isn't to say that a brown dwarf is impossible in a way out orbit like Proxima Centauri is to Alpha Centauri, but it rules out the Nemesis Theory aspect and would place a brown dwarf at about .2 - 1 LY away in a stable orbit around the sun of 500,000 years or longer.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, thanks a lot guys. Now I'm never gonna be able to sell my XBK 2000-B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the BK2010-A which is no longer experimental and has a complete software upgrade. It runs on QNX with a DOS like interface and command structure. Why would anyone want an experimental device that cranky.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have the BK2010-A which is no longer experimental and has a complete software upgrade. It runs on QNX with a DOS like interface and command structure. Why would anyone want an experimental device that cranky.

PE
    Do you use stop bath with it?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well actually, the model most appropriate for me is anything in the complete BS line.

The hand crank on the XBK does tend to tire one out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What can be some fun is photographing Neptune and Pluto. Their positions are known. It still takes a decent telescope, good driven mount to follow the stars and work to perfect your technique. You'll need to photograph them on different nights to show that they have moved and are thus a planet, not just a star you thought was a planet. You can do the same with minor bodies like asteroids, comets and such. It is fun and sometimes when you are imaging known objects in that area you can discover new comets and things and if you're really, really, really lucky you can be the first one to see it and report it and they'll even name it after you. Hey, the lottery win is probably less likely...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Do you use stop bath with it?
    Actually, a quick dip in water will stop most electronic devices!

PE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin