Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,050   Online: 882

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooting B&W mid-day

Just curious who does a lot of shooting with high sun. Having shot a lot of portraits I avoid it like the plague but I'm wondering if I should be more open when shooting general, possibly non-living subjects. My reason for asking is that I'm taking a short photo jaunt and trying to schedule shooting time (nothing in particular, just aiming at nouns). In the past I've tried to use 12:00-3:00 or so for travel or an alternative activity but I'll be in unfamiliar territory and right place, right time is not an option. This may be too general a question to answer but I thought I would run it up the flagpole. FYI, I'm in Texas and I swear the sun is bigger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In bright sun at mid day you'll have harsh direct shadows so they key is to make note of them and use them to your advantage. It will be very high contrast which can be a good look if it's what you're after, or it can be bad if you aren't expecting it. As long as you aren't shooting wedding dresses or Great White Egrets you should be able to manage to cover the dynamic range.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Another way to look at the higher contrast is to use your film's ability to lessen the contrast. Exposing film is all about the shadows. If the shadows get enough exposure, you can see into them just fine. The highlights always get enough exposure, we don't need to worry about them until development.

I live in the high desert here in Utah. I over expose most of the time. It gives me shadow detail. I just make sure when I develop I don't run the highlights up on to the shoulder.

We so quickly forget the basics. Expose for the shadow, develop for the highlights. Easy peasy as they say.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One thibg that might help if you have no one along to hold up a reflector on the shadow side would be to wear a white shirt or sweater. Might help. And there's always fill flash.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Another way of looking at it is to put your camera on its side and then everything will be side light.
    I call this the perfect light.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Or pop a R72 or 25a filter on the front and load up with infrared film. Not to everyone's taste...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone. I just have trouble with the "seeing" when there's that much contrast. Hard for me to pre-visualize. Might be a good time to expand my development repertoire anyway. I'll get good brackets and take notes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I find the beast time in the redwoods is about 10am to 2pm (a bit later on the longer days of the year.) Great on light overcast days, but the sunny days works great with print processes that can handle the contrast (carbon and -platinum printing, for example.)

If one has an eye for light, great images can be made in all light conditions -- perhaps not the same type of images one makes in "perfect" light -- but so much the better!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I find the beast time in the redwoods is about 10am to 2pm (a bit later on the longer days of the year.) Great on light overcast days, but the sunny days works great with print processes that can handle the contrast (carbon and -platinum printing, for example.)

If one has an eye for light, great images can be made in all light conditions -- perhaps not the same type of images one makes in "perfect" light -- but so much the better!
    Vaughn, I like the way you dealt with difficult light on your "oak" image. Pretty cagey. Great image. Hard to print?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin