Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,476   Online: 1081

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Lunasix F metering issue

I found a like-new Lunasix F in a store today, grabbed it and went home. Store owner said it "didn't really agree" with his Sekonic L-308s. At home I found out that there was some corrosion probably from a leaked battery on one of the connectors. I cleaned it up as good as is possible.

Now the real problem:

1. compared to my Nikon F2 (DP11, 60/40 meter calibrated by Sover Wong) the Lunasix says 2 seconds on f:2 while the Nikon meter says 1/8th on f:2 on iso 400. I know the Lunasix has a different measuring angle (30 degress) so I took a reading from a door in the hall (same height, etc) that I judged to be Zone V. Moving into a room where I barely can make out the numbers on the meter, I still get the same 2 seconds reading.

2. With the button on the Lunasix set for continous metering, moving from dark to light, even shading the meter with my in front of the meter gets me the same reading (no moving needle) whereever I point it.

And I calibrated it and put a new 9v battery into the meter. Just as the saying goes: never compare two meters.

I think this meter is FUBAR. Or is it something I am doing wrong here?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't think you are.
    It sure sounds like it's the meter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    stupid question, you took measurements with the luna with white dissusion cup out of the way? Usually silicon sensor does not break, it either works or does not, I would check if the wires going from the battery compartment are shorting or corroded. Just my 2 cents
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the input, guys!

I am using the meter without the diffusion dome and as far as I can see the wires are okay. I tried with a third meter, (yes, I know, asking for even more trouble!) a Sekonic L398. That meter is in the ballpark of the Nikon one.

My guess is that there is something wonky in the electronics. For once I am not going to bother with a repair - it's going back to the store.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    To conclude this: yes, there is something wonky here. And it's not in the meter. Sorry to say, user was to blame. This was a Lunasix F, remember?

There is a little red button on the lefthand side with a flashsign. If you touch that button, the needle zeroes, waiting for the flash. Which never happens if you don't use flash. And you can point it every d*ng way you want and go crazy thinking it's time for the asylum because this meter is really not working, etc, etc...

So it goes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ah yes... forgot about that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin