Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,495   Online: 865

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fore/back ground can be kept in focus if it relates to the subject and helps lead the eye. (converging/diverging lines) Keep it out of focus if it is "clutter" (distracting). Sometimes the background just out of focus so not be distracting, but in focus enough to tell what it is is a nice effect and helps viewer to relate (Kid on a swing with slightly out of focus kids playing in the backgroud)
    Fill the frame (viewfinder) and you'll have less to crop in the darkroom. Don't try to include everything your eye sees. Just doesn't work.(for me anyway).
    Bushes, trees, fences, lightpoles can often be used to "frame" the subject. Effective for land/cityscapes.
    Most importantly -for every rule, there is an exception- except this one...

Images
    Theories of composition are quite varied. If you show your pictures to people you want them to experience them. The whole picture, not just part. There are general rules and they are well known, but they too can work against a photograph if they are not used in a way that compliments each other. A curved road should not lead away from the subject as it draws the eye away and so on and so forth

If it were me:
    I would place the bridge above or below the horizon makeing it echo the horizon as a repeating line.

Bushes are great to have in the forground as they can be interesting. Unfortunately they can also clutter the view forcing the viewer to look only at the bush. Personally I thik this means making it very dominant and huge. Use the branches to frame with or point to the repeating lines of the horizon and the bridgethis should lead the viewer around the photograph.

My two cents
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think it's a bad idea to learn rules about composition. It's better to learn what effect elements of design have on you and how they relate to what you want to see. Level bridges crossing the format are painfully calm to me but then maybe sometimes I want to make a painfully calm picture. Quit composing subjects and start looking at forms and values and most of the rules worthy of mention will automatically be followed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin