Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,465   Online: 1052

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mostly orange (21??) or yellow (8). Here in the UK we often need a litttle help with contrast... I use a 23A (very close to orange really) too and have just bought a 25 for a bit more kick. I also use a yellow-green quite a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mostly orange (21??) or yellow (8). Here in the UK we often need a litttle help with contrast... I use a 23A (very close to orange really) too and have just bought a 25 for a bit more kick. I also use a yellow-green quite a lot.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wow, thanks for all the replies! Very helpful info indeed. From what I gather yellow and orange would be the flavors of choice?

I guess another question would be how do you compensate your exposures? Meter through the filter? Film manufacturers data sheet? or do you use a constant adjustment for each filter on all film types?

Thanks again,

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a yellow quite a bit. Polarizer isn't far behind. I often use ND filters too.
    Facts are facts; however, perception is reality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb_z5
    Wow, thanks for all the replies! Very helpful info indeed. From what I gather yellow and orange would be the flavors of choice?

I guess another question would be how do you compensate your exposures? Meter through the filter? Film manufacturers data sheet? or do you use a constant adjustment for each filter on all film types?

Thanks again,

Mike
    I use the manufacturer's info and if the images come out dense or thin adjust accordingly. I have also metered through them as well. My wife's camers (Nikon FE2 with a great internal meter) has through the lens metering and so I make no adjustments.

Images
    I meter through the filter in reflected mode and adjust based on manufacturer setting to begin with and play the trial and error game to get it right the next time.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the camera I am using has a TTL meter (i.e 35mm), I use the meter reading. With MF and LF, I compensate for the filter using the manufacturer's recommendations.

One other thing (you may already know this)... while you are in the process of deciding what to buy, you also need to spend some time on the filter size you want to standardize on, based on the equipment you own and the range of lenses you are likely to use.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always apply the manufacturer factor rather than meter through ... never had any probs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb_z5
    It depends. I prefer using a hand held meter (1 or 3 degree spot) and metering through the filter when possible. However, there are times when I need to meter much faster. In those cases, I will meter using my Nikon N80 - which is always loaded with the same filter/film combination.

Also, I have an old Minolta meter which has a ground glass attachment. When doing close-ups I will simply meter through the ground glass - no bellows factors, filter factors to worry about once the meter is configured correctly.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only ever use a Cokin P series Green filter with B&W, usually when shooting a landscape with green foliage and brick, sone or rock.

Minimal interpretation via filters, just enhanced clarity.

Can't remember when I last used a fiilter for colour, except for technical work and colour balance on slide film - we have to find the dropped "u" to get good results here in the UK. Has got to be over 12 years for personal work and would only have been a polariser.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin