Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,776   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What is your most used filter?

While browsing some of the images here I saw very few photos that included information on filtration used during exposure. so the questions are:

1. What is your most used filter? For what effect?
    2. any examples in your portfolio(or gallery) we can see?

As a relative newcomer here and to photography in general I am often unsure on what filters I should purchase and/or use.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I do use a filter (very rarely these days), my faves are an orange to push the contrast up and get some good sky detail in the weedy English light and a yellow/green to get some differentiation in foliage tones- i use them both equally. Saying that, I proabably use a homemade diffusion filter to pre-expose film in high SBRs more than any other.

When i used to take more colour transparency shots, my fave was a ND grad

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always have an orange or red filter attached behind a UV. No reason other than I like the results. Sometimes use a polariser or a ND or coloured grad if i'm trying to get exposure times up or balance bright sky/dark ground etc.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    1.5 stop yellow filter for B&W in one form or another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    40 or 70cc m
    ND Grad
    Tungsten
    florescent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mike!
    I'm pretty new to photography, and I bought a red (#25) and Orange (YA3) filter after reading about how these do interesting things to clouds and sky. I also have a polarizing filter, but an still experimenting with that one!

I keep a UV filter on my camera all the time and put the other filter over the top when I use them. I have found that I really like how the orange filter exaggerates the clouds in the sky without darking the foliage too much. I want to buy a green filter, too. I've read that it will wash out the green in some foliage and make it look "IRish" hmm... "IR-ish" (not Irish! haha ) .

I have two pics in the Critique Gallery that were shot using an Orange filter. Hope this helps some! It's been really fun experimenting with the filters!
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    127 Format
    orange (and definatly red) can be a bit intrusive. I'd kick off with a yellow and consider building from that.

I got some really nice (at least technically) outdoor portrait shots recently with yellow/green - I'll defintaly be trying that more in future.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't care for the effects of the darker filters, so for B&W I use mostly K-2 and occasionally K-3 (I think that's #6 and #8 in the newer terminology).
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here in NM, i never take off the light yellow filter. It adds just enough punch and doesn't over do the sky.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Without a doubt; a 1 or 2 stop ND Grad (I use it almost daily) and either a warm polarizer or an 81A. Of course, I primarily do color. When doing B&W I am currently only using a yellow filter - plus the ND Grads.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin