Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,859   Posts: 1,583,127   Online: 863

Shooter
    Multi Format

Norwood Director

I just scored a Norwood Director Type C in very nice condition, with all the gubbins except the Photodisk. The leather case is a little rough, but it took the abuse, not the meter.

Any other Director users out there? Any hints? Any spare parts? The dome is a little yellowed, but still useable.

Sort of fun to shoot with old classic gear. Gotta see if Eric Henderson can get my father's Asahiflex IIb up and running.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's the ancestor of the current Sekonic L-398--nice design that's more functional than it looks, according to a sarcastic friend. I like my L-398 as an outdoor meter since its lowlight abilities are somewhat limited compared to newer models. Have you had a chance to check its accuracy?

Here's a bit on the Director:

http://www.johndesq.com/pinhole/norwoodhistory.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could try Quality Light Metric in Los Angeles for parts or service. I don't have their phone number handy, but if you google them or search in here you'll find it. As far as I know they don't have a web presence though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got my "Director" in 1983 but last week it became erratic. It was $5 and gave me many years of trouble-free service. I may not fix it and may just replace it with a newer Sekonic L-398A

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's a pretty serious upgrade, ic-racer! Do you think you can handle all the new-fangled stuff on the L398A? (Yes, I do own a L398 and I like it a lot.)
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Brockway Norwood Director is my main light meter. I got it for $5 with the case, three slides, the disc, and the grid. It reads 1/6 stop less light than a brand new Sekonic Studio Deluxe L-398A, and Quality Light Metric says it is solely because of the slightly yellowed dome. The guy there says that the domes yellowing is the most common problem they have. Most are more yellowed than mine is. I lost one of the slides and cracked the clear plastic outer case once (swung my jacket on in a rush, and the meter was in the pocket and hit a sign post), so I perched and waited on E-Bay till I found a lot of two of them (plus some other old reflected meter) with slides, cases, and some other stuff, and I pounced for $25 shipped. They both had badly yellowed domes, though they work just fine if you compensate for this. I got them just for the half dozen spare slides, for a new clear outer case to replace the cracked one, and for a leather case that was in better condition than the one I had. I have accidentally submerged my meter more times than I can count, and it always dries out just as accurate as ever. I also got the slide kit that is currently offered by Sekonic. For a total of about $60 invested so far in the meter, spares, and the accessory slides, and another $40 on having it looked over by Q.L.M. (no "service" needed), I'd say I have easily got my money's worth, and I would recommend them to anyone, as long as the dome is still white.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format

Norwood Director

Many thanks for the info, folks. I'll give Quality Light Metric a call about a new dome, although a little compensation via the ASA dial would be a good workaround. The Dome is loose in its retaining ring, Mr de Vries says it inserts from the back so if I can't get a replacement (not too likely!) I'll use one or two tiny dabs of silicone sealant to keep it in place. Be terrible to lose it.

The meter needle takes some time to "settle down." Is this characteristic?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My dome used to fall off of the ring as well. I just removed the ring and used white glue to keep the dome in place on the ring.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, so with all this talk of the "Director" I got mine out and it seems to have fixed itself. ?? I'll have to take it out with me and see if it is reliable enough to use again.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Norwood Director

I checked my Director against my Minolta incident meter; for the same ASA and f stop the Minolta suggests 1/250 sec and the Norwood 1/200 sec. Not too bad for a 50 + year old meter, don't you think? Certainly within film lattitude....

BTW, the Minolta's dome is white, and not too much different in size than the Norwood's. And I'll bet that Minolta parts might still be available. Hmmm.....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin