Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,710   Online: 906

Shooter
    Medium Format

Filter for vignetting with a 50mm Canon f1:1.8 lens

How can I achieve a nice vignetting result using the 50mm 1:1.8 canon lens? could you suggest me some filter for this? I usually shoot 35mm in B&W

thanks in advance

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Hi hatziteo, I just stumbled upon your post. I've used several UV filters stacked in front of the lens and a lens shade from a tele lens that will fit to create a vignette on the image!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bill,

On the rather rare occasions that I vignette I prefer to do it when printing since that offers more control plus you have a negative that you might change your mind about and less layers of glass. The same goes for diffusion. For that try two pieces of 1/4 inch thick glass with some baby oil in between. "Smusch" them around holding them under the enlarger lens til you get the effect you want.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you both for the tips ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stacking filters and using an undersized lenshood will certainly produce vignetting, but it tends to be rather harsh, unpleasant, "hard" in nature. What could be used to provide a more subtle effect?

Perhaps something like a graduated neutral density filter with a large, oval, clear centre spot and a graduated increase in density from the centre outwards.

Is such a thing available? How could one manufacture one DIY?

Maybe smearing an UV filter with tinted petroleum jelly would work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try a nylon stocking over the lens with a hole cut in it although I agree with Galah that you have much more control at the printing stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to keep the thread going a little longer, I have been reading a photographic "how to" book, printed in the 1980's and, much to my surprise, in the chapter on filters, found several photographs illustrating the uses of a variety of -presumably- commercially available (at the time) vignetting lens filters, both circular and oval in effect.

I'd love to get some!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Try a nylon stocking over the lens with a hole cut in it although I agree with Galah that you have much more control at the printing stage.
    I tried many things. Some of them worked, others didnt. So I ended up that its much easier to add a vignetting effect when printing using a mask, plus you can also keep the "original" picture. Anyway, its always fun experimenting

Shooter
    35mm
    Vignetting the print is much easier and you don't ruin a perfectly good picture if you don't like it afterwards... but if you want a negative with vignette, I recommend using a cheap UV-filter (aka protection filter), coloring it with black marker pen and then carefully rubbing away some of the paint in the middle. I had rather nice results with that, though I used a broken dark yellow filter for that Lomo-look. It's not very useful for wide angle lenses, smaller apertures and close focus though, because it looks really ugly when the dirty filter comes into focus.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin