Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,827   Online: 810

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Red and green lines/double image in Walgreens prints (Fujicolor C200)

Just got some prints from a roll of some cheap Walgreens store brand film (I have been told this is rebranded Fujicolor C200) that I shot awhile ago and I'm seeing some obnoxious red and green lines / "double images" where darker elements within the photo meet lighter ones. These red and green lines appear only at areas of sharp contrast between darker and lighter lines/shapes. They become much more noticeable when the prints are scanned. Is this an artifact associated with cheap film, bad processing, or my inexpensive printer/scanner?

An example (please excuse the dust and debris):

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a look at your negatives under a loupe (a 50mm lens will work as well) - if it's to do with the film, you'll see the opposite colours in the exact areas on the neg, if not, and they don't appear on a print - it's a scanner problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

It looks to me like Walgrens has a "stability" problem somewhere in a tri-colour process.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds to me like you are seeing this in the prints that you got from them, right? If so, then I suspect it is their scanner. You could be exacerbating it with your scanning, perhaps through oversharpening, but if it is on their prints it didn't originate on your scanner. I would be rather surprised to see something like this from the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You forgot your 3D glasses.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    You forgot your 3D glasses.
    Heh, that occured to me right after I posted this.

Can anyone reccommend me an inexpensive place to get Fuji Superia developed? I thought I could get away with cheap film/processing for awhile while I transition to color, and I was prepared for some minor imperfection, but until i get my hands on the negatives (in transit) I can't really use these prints.

EDIT: I used the lens I took these with (25-70mm) to inspect the prints, and the problem is just as prevalent as it appears on the computer with the benefit of enlargement. I don't know if I'll be able to check the negatives without something more powerful as the lines are quite small - even on the prints. These lines also seem to "bleed out" in an ink-like pattern near very bright lights or colorful objects, so I'm thinking it's Walgreens' print processing that's at fault here.

Thanks to all for the quick and helpful responses.
    Last edited by jphwx7; 12-10-2010 at 04:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This could happen if you lens got knocked out of alignment. It's very similar to chromatic aberration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could be the laser head in their printer is out of collimation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where do you live? The best thing to do is get 'develop-only' from Walgreens, Target, CVS, whatever and wherever, and then do the scanning yourself. That's not an option for some people, and I was lucky enough to have a great photo lab in town that did beautiful scans, but alas, they closed. Now I scan on an Epson 4990.... but let's not get into scanning... Maybe you've got a lab nearby??

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    This could happen if you lens got knocked out of alignment. It's very similar to chromatic aberration.
    This is an extremely alarming prospect. This was the first roll I took after disassembling the lens and repairing a loose spring on the aperture mechanism. Any way to check this w/o wasting another roll of film? Would the aberration appear in the viewfinder? I plan to check the negatives as soon as I can.

EDIT: I'm becoming quite concerned about how closely my photos resemble the examples of CA that I'm seeing online (red line on one side, green on the other etc.). I would think that the aspherical lens element in the lens I'm using (Nikkor 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5) would produce better results with regard to chromatic aberration than what I'm seeing here. I suppose I could have screwed something up when conducting my amateur lens repair, though.

Also, the issue is at least as prevalent at the center of these images as it is on the edge of the frame. This would conflict with the information I'm seeing on chromatic aberration, which, as I'm told, is normally almost non-existant tat the center of the frame. I've been checking some older negatives taken with this camera before I did the repair using similarly cheap Kodak film and I've yet to encounter any examples of chromatic aberration. It also does not appear on the older prints, which I had developed at a different Walgreens.
    Last edited by jphwx7; 12-10-2010 at 03:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin