Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,324   Online: 753

Shooter
    35mm

Negative Restoration

I apologise if this is the wrong section for such a posting.

I have discovered that my lever-arch folder of B&W negs has suffered some water damage. The translucent paper neg sleeves have become wrinkled and stuck (in places) to the negs. The paper can be soaked away, leaving `ripple` lines of paper fibres on the emulsion side of the negs. The emulsion itself has not for the most part been compromised, it is just that any attempt so far to dislodge these `ripple` marks from the emulsion side of the negs has been unsuccessful.

I would be very grateful for any possible solutions to the restoration of these damaged negs.

I understand Q-Tips are to be avoided however it appears some light abrasive of some form is required. I have so far heard of talcum powder, cigarette ash, and others. Obviously I will scan in what there is PRIOR to any such restoration work but I am at a loss?
    Last edited by Fox Talbot; 12-14-2010 at 08:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Get a copy of Kodak's book "Conservation of Photographs". There are copies on ebay for less than $5. It covers repairing and preventing damage in a variety of ways and would be the best source of information to help you.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin