Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,899   Online: 983

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The brightest part of this image is the rainbow. (BTW, I am no rainbow photographer.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bright_rainbow.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's pretty much zero chance of a double exposure---the film came out of its packaging, went in the camera, went straight through in a day, and got an identifying label stuck in the canister with it when it came out. (And I saw no rainbows that day; it was uniformly grey from dawn to dusk.)

So while it may be possible for the image of a "real" rainbow to look like that, I'm willing to exclude that possibility from consideration.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    NT, does this "rainbow" continue past the frame and into the sprocket holes and frame number? Has this happened before?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    NT, does this "rainbow" continue past the frame and into the sprocket holes and frame number?
    Good question, but I don't know the answer as I got the slides back mounted. I just went and had a close look at the slide but really couldn't tell.

Has this happened before?
    No, and as far as I can think, everything about the equipment and processing is identical to things I've done a million times. (The processor is a pro lab with a good reputation; I use the camera all the dang time and lately this lens has lived on it.) Nothing unusual about the rest of the roll either.

I'm inclined to think it almost has to be a flare-like event that happened at exposure, but I still think the optical coincidence that produces a tight little spectrum like that, with no significant flare effects otherwise, is pretty striking.

I mean, normally when you see a rainbow effect from flare, it's hazy at the edges and accompanied by other obvious flare artifacts. Here I see some lightening to the right of the rainbow in the upper part of the image, against the dark ceiling, but it doesn't seem to cause much loss of contrast, which normally is kind of the definition of flare.

I say it's weird! :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the image extends beyond the frame, then it could have been introduced by the processor. If not, then flare seems to be an explanation. However, I am at a loss to how such a pattern is made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    The brightest part of this image is the rainbow. (BTW, I am no rainbow photographer.)
    Hikari

You're right, but even in this image there is enough to leave more than just the rainbow in a double exposure. However, your suggestion about a processing error is intriguing.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would expect a processing issue to cross the frame boundaries. If the artifact is constrained to the image frame that seems unlikely...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the Bessa-R + Nikkor 50/f2 combination have any problems such as internal reflections from rear element? It looks like quite an elegant form of chroma maybe through internal reflection, flare, shifting light... very different to the usual flare spots that are making a vogue comeback amongst landscape photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was there a filter on the lens?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Was there a filter on the lens?
    No filter, no hood. Essentially all the light is artificial; the room is pretty dim (it was late afternoon on a cloudy day, and there are minimal windows in the upper gallery where this was taken), but off to the right of the frame there are in fact several light sources (the lighting for a photo exhibition).

I do think I see some lightening to the right of the "rainbow", especially at the top of the frame---however, I'm pretty sure that the "map of Africa" shape in that area is actual discolouration on the ceiling, not a light artifact.

Supposing it were a processing issue, is there a plausible mechanism? This frame is in the middle of the roll, for what that's worth. I don't know how Chrome do their E-6 process.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin