Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,276   Online: 824

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where did this rainbow come from???

I've just scanned the attached photo. There's nothing especially remarkable about how it was created; I braced the camera against the column, pointing at the capital, set the exposure (1/2 second or so at f/2, I believe), and went click. Bessa-R with a 50/2 Nikkor, Provia 100F; the roll was developed commercially and the other frames show nothing unusual.

The rainbow, I am pretty certain, was not visible at the time of exposure! Can anyone suggest what happened here? (Yes, it's on the slide, not just a scan artifact.)

-NT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aya-sofya-rainbow.jpg  
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Flare from a light that is just out of the frame?

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    +1
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    +2

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If you had an older uncoated lens without a lens hood it would be even more dramatic and/or harder to avoid. This is either very exciting and interesting or one of the common mistakes when shooting up into the sky. It is all about what spin you put on your story.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shadows on the foot of the column suggest that the main light is coming from a direction towards the center of the 'rainbow' circle. Consequently, +3.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. I had no idea that flare could so easily produce a really crisp prismatic effect. I guess the intruding light source would have to be very close to the plane of the lens, right?

I think it's a pretty interesting effect, but I'm glad it didn't happen to a better photo. The rainbow is clearly the best thing about this one!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is not flare. Flare in non-image forming light and there is an image of a rainbow. Did you take a roll out of a camera and forget you had shot a rainbow frame? It looks like a double exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    That is not flare. Flare in non-image forming light and there is an image of a rainbow. Did you take a roll out of a camera and forget you had shot a rainbow frame? It looks like a double exposure.
    Real rainbows don't look like that. A double exposure would have shown more of the 'other' image too. A rainbow is typically faint and not the brightest part of the image.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Real rainbows don't look like that. A double exposure would have shown more of the 'other' image too. A rainbow is typically faint and not the brightest part of the image.
    Rainbows are circular with blue being in the inner arch. So it does look like a rainbow. Rainbows can certainly be brighter than the sky behind them--I have seen several. There also appears part on another image inside the rainbow at the top of the frame. So it is very possible that it is a rainbow image.

However, if it is flair, how does it produce a circular refraction pattern with a distinct spectra?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin