Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,180   Online: 864

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    Your takling too long.....
    Oh dear. My pedantic side has to make an appearance.

You're, not your!

And yes, it's normal.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My wife always brings something to read and I'm patient when I'm with her when she is shopping. If convenient I do my photography alone.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I stood out in the blizzard today with my speed graphic doing some handheld photos in the downtown. I focus with the ground glass, close the metal hood, put the film in, review settings, cock the shutter, pull the darkslide. Then I stood motionless for about 3-4 minutes looking through the viewfinder waiting for a person to walk into a particular part of the composition. The snow and wind was so nasty, almost nobody was out and about walking. Normally, someone would walk where I wanted every few seconds and cars and trucks would be where I didn't want them. Finally after a lonnnnnggg wait, I saw what I needed happening and took the photo.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Man, I have pretty much sworn off snow photography after last year. And yesterday has only served to bolster my resolve.

No, I pretty much venture out solo because anyone who would go with would grow very tiresome at the 20+ minutes I generally take to make an exposure. And there are usually more than one.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Is this normal am I taking a long time, am I rubbish at what I am doing for it, or does it not really matter and take as long as I like?
    Come photograph with me sometime. When I'm using the 5x4, about the best I can do is 20 minutes from start of setup to end of tear down. Much more normal is 30-45 minutes (if it's a tricky shot or conditions are challenging like yesterday's cold and 8 inches of fresh snow). On top of that I've been known to wait for hours to get the right combination of light, wind, etc. to allow me to capture what I want.

I spent most of yesterday out photographing as the big East Coast storm was winding down. Exposed a whopping five sheets of film in five or six hours of faffing about in the snow. If you'd been with me no doubt it would have been you saying that I take (much) too long!
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Snow photography is for the young and the touched-in-the-head. I ain't twenty anymore. And, contrary to popular belief, I ain't that touched in the head.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Oh dear. My pedantic side has to make an appearance.

You're, not your!

And yes, it's normal.

Steve.
    Steve, what took you so long ?

Ron

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Next time just show your friend the expiration date on the box and film and say you have plenty of time. Of course, if you use expired film...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    There is a solution which will be to both your satisfactions. Don't take that person with you! ...
    I completely agree with this. Fortunately or unfortunately, I do my best work alone. I'm able to stop, go here/there, and take as many photos as I want of what I want.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is something I keep being told, only by the same person and who is not really a photographer.l
    There is only one correct reply: Piss off!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin