Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,110   Online: 1107

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a photo-hobbyist friend who I go out shooting with on occasion. He swears by digital and his 40D, but he has a good eye and really enjoys what he does. He is generally patient when I lug out my 4x5 and set that up (more than anything, I think he's intrigued by watching me use the thing), but I find having anyone else with me when I'm shooting is a distraction. I'm focused on not making them wait too long or not making them stop too often, or maintain some degree of conversation, so I've figured out that I need to be alone when I'm doing more serious work.

I did get my friend to concede, though, that he doesn't want to use a 4x5 because he's afraid he'll like it too much Which is step one. I'll convert him eventually...
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The owner of the studio I first worked for was so cheap, he would send me alone, without an assistant, to shoot corporate heads and I became very adept at working very quickly, as these shots were always environmental...that is in their office. I developed a reputation for good work done with very little wasted time. Then I ran into Mr. Big, the CEO of NorCal Insurance and in fact and by reputation, a real PIA. He was seated at his desk, surrounded by his junior officers and VP's when he snapped, "is this going to take much longer?" "YES", I snapped back and at that moment I finally got the expression that made the portrait. The look of anger, arrogance and impatience, summed up his personality to a TEE and when he received the pictures, he really liked the portrait and I never had another problem with him. The point is, tell the truth and don't get intimidated. After all, most of you are men and are expected to be frank. Imagine how shocking my response was, coming from a mere woman, especially in the early 60's. Thank God times have at least changed a little. Thanks Annie but I was here first.
    Denise Libby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Snow photography is for the young and the touched-in-the-head. I ain't twenty anymore. And, contrary to popular belief, I ain't that touched in the head.
    We had a wonderful blizzard here in Boston the other night (I'm guessing the same one that many of you East Cost folk are referring to). Around midnight, I buttoned up my winter gear, threw my monorail over my shoulder and headed out. 5 hours and 12 sheets of film later, I got home with a sore back and icicles hanging from my eyebrows, but it was an amazing experience; well worth it.

Then again, I'm 21 years old
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    de-pends.
    I hope to never be de-pendant on de-pends.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Denise, that is a great story! You're an example to any who might find themselves daunted and in need of being reminded of what can be done with talent, ability, guts and grit.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    The owner of the studio I first worked for was so cheap, he would send me alone, without an assistant, to shoot corporate heads and I became very adept at working very quickly, as these shots were always environmental...that is in their office. I developed a reputation for good work done with very little wasted time. Then I ran into Mr. Big, the CEO of NorCal Insurance and in fact and by reputation, a real PIA. He was seated at his desk, surrounded by his junior officers and VP's when he snapped, "is this going to take much longer?" "YES", I snapped back and at that moment I finally got the expression that made the portrait. The look of anger, arrogance and impatience, summed up his personality to a TEE and when he received the pictures, he really liked the portrait and I never had another problem with him. The point is, tell the truth and don't get intimidated. After all, most of you are men and are expected to be frank. Imagine how shocking my response was, coming from a mere woman, especially in the early 60's. Thank God times have at least changed a little. Thanks Annie but I was here first.
    Denise Libby
    Nick Nickson teaches an advanced view camera class at my school (MassArt). I was talking to an upperclassman who had taken his class, and she was very offended when on the first day he said, very bluntly, "If you want to be a photographer, you've got to have balls!"

Well just cause you're a girl don't mean you can't have no balls! Cool story.

(Gramatical comment: Hows my triple-negative working?)
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    "pendant"? If you stop being a pendant are you then a de-pendant?
    A pendant is a little dangly thing that my wife has on her bracelet.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    I married an artist. She can spend couple of hours on a single clump of wildflowers, so my problem is finding enough subjects for the 4x5 within shouting distance!
    So did I. We have some great "photo op" outings together.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    After all, most of you are men and are expected to be frank. Imagine how shocking my response was, coming from a mere woman, especially in the early 60's. Thank God times have at least changed a little. Thanks Annie but I was here first.
    Denise Libby
    Give 'em hell, Denise! Take no prisoners!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Conversely, I sometimes want to tell my (digital shooting) friends to SLOW DOWN. I'd say 20-25 mins is typical and twice that NOT unusual.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin