Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,479   Online: 1242

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quite often I ask my wife for opinions, especially when I was putting CiM out. She has an eye for the visual. And even though she does not like Black and White she does have a good way of seeing it. I even ask her for ideas for contrast control in printing. There have been a few I tried where I had burning block and doggonit if she wasn't right.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Isn't this something of a trick question? I mean, either you have an editor or you don't. An editor decides, they don't exactly help decide. If you have veto power over your editor, then you don't have an editor! Okay, maybe J. K. Rowling and Stephen King have editors who make "suggestions" that are either followed or not.

Example: I basically shoot and print whatever I want, but when it comes to display in public my wife makes the call. This is because she owns the walls they are displayed on. Fortunately we usually agree. When we disagree, I can't help but take it personally and can only thank my luck that photography is not my bread and butter. Or an editor would drive me nuts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Learn to edit your own work. (Unless you are working for someone else. Then they are going to take what they want.) Taking pictures is easy. Editing is the skill that gets your work in front of others. Bad editing gives bad results. Other people will simply edit for themselves and so you simply see their vision. Editing in turn makes you a better photographer as you can start weeding out ineffective ideas/methods/subjects/compositions.

BTW, I have work(ed) professionally in art direction/editing. There is nothing worse than getting work from photographers that can't edit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Do you have someone who looks through your photos/negatives with you and helps you decide which ones you want to enter into contest or print or whatever?
    No.

Shooter
    35mm
    When I've done some digital creation work in Photoshop, I also run into this problem. Rather than turn to others (though I do appreciate peer review, I don't always heed the advice given), I step away from it. I don't look at it. I close the file and don't even think about it for a full week.

Then I come back with fresh eyes and spot new things in the photoshop file. I say "oh, that effect is gaudy," or "did I really miss this detail?" and keep working until I think I'm done or nearly so. Then repeat the 1-week-cooldown.

I would imagine the same works for photography, as long as you're not on a deadline.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    Self-editing is an oxymoron(thanks to Axe for the correct sp). One needs to be brutual. You can boil it down to a (insert number) but the last 10, needs input from someone who is not emotional involved with the photographer or even the image. The only question becomes DOES IT WORK.?
    I disagree. The most important question is and remains: is it what i (!) wanted it to be. Something only you can answer and decide.
    (Unless you communicate in a non-photographic way what it is you are aiming to communicate through your photos. Do you want to write and present essays, or produce images?)

The thing with this question is that you really should not need an editor. If you know what you are doing, what it is what you are hoping to achieve, and work towards that, the editing is in the creative act/process itself.

But yes, if you just point your camera at things in a random fashion, editing afterwards (i.e. trying to detect a possible link between, a consistency in, the things you have brought home) could be a good idea.
    A better idea, however, would be to avoid that completely, and work deliberately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin