Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,082   Online: 902

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Do you have someone like an "editor"?

Do you have someone who looks through your photos/negatives with you and helps you decide which ones you want to enter into contest or print or whatever?

Sometimes I feel like I think, look and work with my shots so much that "I can't see the forest for the trees"
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not for negatives, but I have used photographer friends in the past to help select for exhibitions etc.

While I'll have made the original print selection it helps to discuss and fine tune the final selection and often the sequencing as well.

I'm actually doing the same again for 3 separate exhibitions which are being shown late 2011 and early 2012, and with one body of work that includes the work in progress stages and may influence what further images I shoot.

So yes I do get others involved at the editorial stages and have done for over 20 years, sometimes you can't step back and take an impartial look at what your producing.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am involved with a lot of show preparation, with my line of work.

Unlike Ian , I do not recommend other photographer friends to help edit work.
    Same goes for Wives, family and friends. They are too close or may be pissed at you , or jealous, envious who knows...

What I suggest is choose a associate who is not too close to you, but pick someone you really respect, offer to buy them a really nice lunch and prepare a proposal of your planned exhibit, what the work means to you and have them give you an unbiased review of your images.
    This will mean that you will have self edited down to a realistic number of images for the viewer to look at.
    If the show/portfolio is to be 15-30 images then present 75 -100 decently presented images for them to view.
    You may pick two or more **editors** for this purpose and I believe you will get a much better idea if your images are working with your ideas of a show.
    Over time these people will understand your projects and be a wonderful resource and only cost you a few nice meals, which of course you enjoy as well. Otherwise I would pay a good editor to look at your work , but this could be expensive to get a really good eye and unbiased opinion.

I will also add , with experience and time doing this , I have come to a conclusion the most, photographers*not all* but most , are the worst editors of their work.
    I am currently preparing for my first showing of my own work and am preparing about 150 test prints to put in front of a few eyes I trust, I hope they like good food.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Not for negatives, but I have used photographer friends in the past to help select for exhibitions etc.

While I'll have made the original print selection it helps to discuss and fine tune the final selection and often the sequencing as well.

I'm actually doing the same again for 3 separate exhibitions which are being shown late 2011 and early 2012, and with one body of work that includes the work in progress stages and may influence what further images I shoot.

So yes I do get others involved at the editorial stages and have done for over 20 years, sometimes you can't step back and take an impartial look at what your producing.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In our camera club, we'll often seek each other out for editorial purposes. I know I do, and others use me for the same purpose. It's always good to get a second or third set of eyes on the subject.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am about to enter 2-3 photographs in a juried show in Jan. and would like to try to select some of my better shots.

Is there a section here at APUG for this type critique. Obviously there is tremendous talent and experience here. I know there is a "critique" section but would that be the proper place to get this "editorial" type help?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I am involved with a lot of show preparation, with my line of work.

Unlike Ian , I do not recommend other photographer friends to help edit work.
    Same goes for Wives, family and friends. They are too close or may be pissed at you , or jealous, envious who knows...
    You're right Bob, however my choice is people I respect who've usually exhibited widely, and most importantly don't produce work remotely similar.

Back in the 1980's when I had my first solo exhibition I did work with a close friend who also often joined me when I was shooting, and yes that was a mistake, it did his own photograph no good, while he's still a close friend and supportive I have never got him involved again.

So yes your advice is sound, and in reality I did as you are in fact suggesting, even the wining & dining

I guess like you I've some advantages because I curated a number of exhibitions for an Arts Centre in the late 80's & through the 90's, and was involved with various funded arts groups.

It's a big learning curve but as you progress it becomes easier over the years. Also the circle of people you can ask for help grows wider.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Sometimes I will show my wife several test prints and ask her which one she likes the best. Since she's pretty much ignorant of the photographic process and I never tell her what she is looking for, I find it an informative nudge.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've actually found Flickr to be an interesting way to get a first edit. If people view, comment or mark as a favorite, that tells you something. It isn't the same as having someone you respect looking at it, but it is unbiased and quantitative. It is pretty clear which ones seem to resonate with people. The trick is to figure out which groups to place them in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a photography instructor that I trust and respect. From time to time, I bring him few of my work and he gives me his opinions - good and bad.
    I do not do this on regular basis though. I usually make contact prints and look through. Try to print what I like and see how they come out in the end.

I also have a girlfriend who likes to look at my work but she is non-photographer. Sometimes, non-enthusiasts opinions do help.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Self-editing is an oxymoron(thanks to Axe for the correct sp). One needs to be brutual. You can boil it down to a (insert number) but the last 10, needs input from someone who is not emotional involved with the photographer or even the image. The only question becomes DOES IT WORK.?

Let me try to add to this to be clearer. As an example when we a critque in class, 9 out of 10 times, it is one excuse after another, or I like it that way, or......

It is very difficult to step back and pick your favorite image, you may review and pick several for a show and then be told, only one. That becomes harder IMO, and then it is great to have an honest knowledgeable individual who can guide you will the proper questions to assist in making the decision.
    Last edited by ann; 12-30-2010 at 03:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin