Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,125   Online: 873

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Images
    Good Morning, Janet,

Some no doubt have been very successful metering night scenes, with or without a spot meter, and will disagree, but I've found that experience(especially!), a little bracketing, and some careful record keeping on the back of contact sheets will usually be adequate in most situations.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's been very many years since I did any night photography so I will defer to those who have advised you as to film and exposure and make one suggestion. If your subject is stationary, you might consider making a partial exposure while there is still some light to capture some details that may not be recorded in the dark then cap the lens until you are ready for the rest of the exposure. Maybe someone can elaborate on that.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Images
    One roll is hanging to dry, and I am pleasantly surprised. Looks like they're alright with more than just some very bright and very dark. Another is washing now. They make me want to go try again, at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgcull View Post
    They make me want to go try again, at least.
    This is one of the things I love about film. It seems both failures and successes have this same affect.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How would I do that without a spot meter? Should I overexpose it a bit?
    Well, if you have no spot meter, you can still wander around with a simple reflected light meter and measure the scene. The important part is: this is not advice for choosing exposure but for choosing composition. You can't change the 1/r^2 law, so pick an image frame carefully. Find a place where light creates an interesting scene within some dynamic range. Look at chiaroscurro masters how they arranged scenes of bright light amidst darkness.

One more hint from personal experience: our eyes see like a tele lens. Yes, our image circle is quite wide but the area we actually look at is pretty narrow. So we see details in a scene much larger than they will be if photographed with a normal lens. What looks like a nice street lamp some meters away may end up a tiny spot of light in your final image.

Images
    I thought I would give you an update since I've processed the film. I did get pretty good images of not so interesting scenery. My longest exposures were around 30 seconds, so I was afraid there wouldn't be much there (after reading) but there was. So, I've got a good starting place for the next time I try. Thank you all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

If you are talking about long exposures, I would bring snacks, drinks, warm clothes, and a folding chair or two if you can manage. A cable release if your shutter doesn't have a way to be locked in the down position. A table of recommended exposures for night shots and a reciprocity failure adjustment chart for your film. Paper and pencil to take notes. I would also use a film with better reciprocity characteristics, though Tri-X is beautiful in night shots. Fuji Acros 100 or Kodak T-Max 100 are good choices.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-24-2011 at 12:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have read of two suggested approaches.

One, shoot at dusk: while there is still light in the sky, but the lights are already on.

Two, using a tripod and stationary subjects, make a double exposure of the same scene: one while its still light, and the other after dark.
    Last edited by Galah; 01-24-2011 at 07:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    >>>Two, using a tripod and stationary subjects, make a double exposure of the same scene: one while its still light, and the other after dark.<<<

Galah, I'm trying to imagine what that would look like. I'd love to see an example. Do you have one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    >>>Two, using a tripod and stationary subjects, make a double exposure of the same scene: one while its still light, and the other after dark.<<<

Galah, I'm trying to imagine what that would look like. I'd love to see an example. Do you have one?
    I do, but it is a page in a book.

It is a B&W shot, and looks very much like one taken at dusk, i.e. some lingering daylight, but the lights are already on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin