Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,950   Online: 810

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Keith, I'm a bit unclear, are you going to print those negs in the darkroom eventually? If so, then a standard printing time test will quickly evaluate your negatives. That's where you expose a sheet of paper through a blank frame of the same film type, processed the same, until you reach a convincing black. Then just print your negative the same way, without making any changes to the enlarger. That can recommend adjustments in exposure and development. I can go into grater detail if you need it. On the other hand, if you're scanning to go into digital prints, most scanners have a way of changing the scanner settings to maximize the image. I never use the auto settings on the scanner. I adjust the settings to get as much detail in the shadows and highlights as possible, and then adjust the values in Photoshop. Same with sharpening.

Also, the tint on the film backing is caused by the dye that prevents halation. Different fixers and hypo clearing agents remove varying amounts of it. it is not going to interfere with image quality. Sometimes environmental factors will cause the antihalation leuco dyes to reappear over time on films that were originally clearer. It's no biggie.

Best, Doug Schwab

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you everybody for taking the time/trouble to respond - appreciated! At the risk of being thrown out of the forum, my b&w work is limited to development only, not printing having only a changing bag, tank and a kitchen sink to work with. Therefore the scanning is a necessary precursor to loading into LR3 & CS4 and any printing would be inkjet.

As mentioned in my original post, it is over twenty years since I last developed a film and given the struggle I have been having with the results from the scanner, I was having some doubts about whether I had got the development right or not. There is understandably some variation in replies but mostly they indicate that the HP5 neg is not too far out. This is encouraging and hopefully with more practice I will be able to have more confidence in producing good quality negs.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keith:

The two examples you show are both quite challenging - they may not be the best negatives to use when you are trying to fine tune your exposure and development.

Do you have any negatives where the scene is illuminated by less contrasty light, but still exhibits a wide range of tones? A scene where the illumination is high overcast, and the shadows are present, but illuminated would be a great target. The classic "light from a north facing window" can also be great.

If you can get your exposure and development dialled in for that sort of scene, adjustments for light that is either more or less harsh are relatively straightforward.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Keith:

...Do you have any negatives where the scene is illuminated by less contrasty light, but still exhibits a wide range of tones? A scene where the illumination is high overcast, and the shadows are present, but illuminated would be a great target. The classic "light from a north facing window" can also be great.
    Below is a shot taken on the same roll. There was a high overcast with diffuse light. For info, the photo of the negative was taken with it on a small light-table (as was the earlier shot).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That last example looks just a bit over-developed to me. I would think, however that you should be able to make a good print from it (whatever method you choose).

I'd try a 10% decrease in development, and bracket some more test shots with similar lighting.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    ... I'd try a 10% decrease in development, and bracket some more test shots with similar lighting.
    That's probably good advise. I would try the same and don't be shy to try a 20% decrease in development, but no need to bracket towards underexposure.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Matt and Ralph. Before posting here I had been trawling through various examples on web sites and re-reading my copies of M. Langford's 'Basic Photography' and A. Adams's 'the Negative', seeking enlightenment on what constitutes a good neg. The responses here have been of great help.

I had started to pour the Ilfosol 3 in ten-seconds before the full minute, agitated as per the leaflet and started to pur the dev out at the 6min 20secs mark. It may well be that by being a bit slow of the mark in getting the Ilfostop into the tank, some over-development has taken place. Will try harder with the next roll!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    This should probably be over on "Hybrid" but, if you're intending to scan your negs and print digitally, Keith, then there's not much wrong with any of your negatives - you should be able to squeeze the information out of them quite easily in Photoshop.

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithM View Post
    I had started to pour the Ilfosol 3 in ten-seconds before the full minute, agitated as per the leaflet and started to pur the dev out at the 6min 20secs mark. It may well be that by being a bit slow of the mark in getting the Ilfostop into the tank, some over-development has taken place.
    That's only about 2.5%. Not enough to worry about or to see any difference.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post
    This should probably be over on "Hybrid" but, if you're intending to scan your negs and print digitally, Keith, then there's not much wrong with any of your negatives - you should be able to squeeze the information out of them quite easily in Photoshop.

Regards
    Jerry
    Thanks for the info regarding the 'Hybrid' forum, which I have just discovered is now DPUG. Have registered and will now pester members there with my questions!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin