Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,732   Online: 841

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Western Master Lightmeter Accuracy

I've been reading a few posts recently about the Selenium cells in Western meters and Selenium meters in general ageing over time and loosing their accuracy, in an idle moment I just tested my Weston Euro-master that I bought new in 1975 with a Kodak Grey Card against three modern good quality digital meters of known accuracy and it's still spot on to within a fraction of a stop, so although I don't doubt that some Selenium cell meters have this problem it's not so in all cases.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've two Weston Mater V's that now won't move past about 2/3rds the way across the scale even in very bright sunlight. Not sure what's happened to my Euromaster, it was borrowed 20 years about ago

While in Cornwall last year I bought a pre WWII Avo meter, later sold by Ilford, and despite it's age it's still accurate, pity Ilford don't list the H&D films speeds any longer

I've two Leicameters - selenium type and they are still accurate still as well, I know that the Leitz dealer I use won't sell them as he says they are no longer trustworthy

It appears that storage conditions and perhaps how much they are used has a bearing on their longevity.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I use a weston master V, and have tested it against a sekonic digital meter, and the weston is spot on, it is in use every time I take a photograph as none of my cameras,from the 30's to 50's, have built in metering,I never keep my meter just around my neck, when not in use I keep it in my pocket, that way it is protected from light when not in use, which, according to Newton and Ellis is the best way to keep the cell working for a very long time, Richard

Bear in mind that the Euromaster was made up to a few years ago and may still be in production so may not be too old. My IVs and Vs are still accurate but the IIs are really flaky
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Master III which is very accurate and a Master IV which can barely move the needle if pointed to bright sun with the back open. I suspect the III has had a new cell at some stage in its life.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Weston II that is quite accurate as well. The key to survival of these is "has it been stored in the dark"? So, if it comes with a leather case, odds are good.

It's never let me down yet, with b&w and even color slide. I shot a whole roll of Velvia 50 in the mountains and the exposures are right on.

Anyone ever use one of the Sekonics L-398A? They're the modern incarnation it appears... very attractive.
    http://www.sekonic.com/products/Seko...LUXE%20III.asp
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was just trying to point out that it isn't always the case, and that all of them are not inaccurate.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-01-2011 at 01:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My Weston Euromaster seems to have gone off the boil a bit, although I did get it damp a while ago which apparently is not a good idea. It's a shame because I rather liked it.

I once spoke with a gentleman from a well-known UK photography magazine who advised me that his stopped working after he dropped it down a French squat toilet. I advised him that he was very brave to fish it out again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Weston (can't remember what model number) which doesn't work anymore.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I was just trying to point out that it isn't always the case, and that all of them are inaccurate.
    I used to work with someone who worked at Sangamo Weston many years ago. He said that they could easily be out by a stop and still be considered calibrated when leaving the factory.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin