Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,437   Online: 704

Shooter
    35mm RF

First time IR820 use. Some confirmation please.

I am asking for a little confirmation here.I have done some research around the threads here and looked at other info also. Seems that all the info combined can make the process seem a little `muddled'. I understand that the use of IR film requires experimentation and bracketing so i`m really just after a starting point. Here is what i plan to do.

1.Developing in Microphen so i will set ASA @ 200[i`m not sure on this]
    2.Use an SLR over the rangefinder because i really do not fancy loading an FSU in complete darkness. A rangefinder would be preferable but i have an external 35/85 veiwfinder i could use on the SLR.
    3.Take photos a couple of hours after noon on a bright day.
    4.Assuming an exposure without filter of F16/125 i will add a filter factor of 5 for a 720nm filter.[obviously use tripod]
    5.Fit filter after taking reading and not look through the veiwfinder with the IR filter attached.
    6.Bracket each side of filter factor exposure.
    7.Should i develop in stock solution or 1+1?

What have missed/got wrong? And any tips
    regards
    CW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Don't forget to shift focus.

The film's speed is ISO 100 unfiltered.

I would just use EI 1.5 on a clear sunny day, forget the meter, and use sunny 16 as a guideline (1/2 sec at f/16, f/2 at '125, or any other equivalent exposure). Cloudy days, overcast skies, shade, etc. will require much more exposure.

Again, don't forget to shift focus!

Oh yeah, and I know it is stating the obvious at EI 1.5, but bring a tripod!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I concur with 2F/2F. And when you say "add a filter factor of 5 for a 720nm filter" I hope you mean 5 stops; even then, I would assume 6 stops for a starting point based on recent experience. I used an SLR myself (Bronica SQ-A) but popping filters on and off is a pain. I may go with my Yashica 124G on the next pass (didn't have it when I started on the IR stuff).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    2F2/F,thanks. yes i forgot to add focus shift to my basic list but was aware. unless i use 35mm lens or less.

DW, yep, i meant 5 stops,[ now 6. thanks]

and am i correct in assuming that if I dial in exposure compensation to
    + 2 i can then use EI 3-4?
    cheers
    CW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO, a handheld incident meter is a much more appropriate tool for metering when you shoot near IR film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well the starting point of F16 @ 1/2 sec worked out OK, a couple of prints acceptable and a few negatives that could be worked on. I used the handheld in combination with exposure compensation as my meter only goes to EV6.A lot of note taking done and much experimentation to go.
    regards

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin